Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Newbie here and already frustrated!!! >

Newbie here and already frustrated!!!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Newbie here and already frustrated!!!

Old 01-12-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Newbie here and already frustrated!!!

Hey guys,

I am newly interested in the sport (although I did some target shooting with a recurve as a kid) and I am trying to find a bow and setup that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg (I don't want to invest a lot of $$$ in something I'm not sure I'll pursue). Yet, I want a bow that will last me as I become more experienced and will not need to replaced after a year or two. I am interested in hunting but I also want to get involved in target and 3D leagues.
I went to my local archery pro shops and found out that I have a 31.5'' draw, which, in addition to my price range (around $400), really narrows down my selection. In the end, I was only able to shoot the 2004 Hoyt Ultramag and Ultrasport. They seemed nice, but I have nothing to compare too. They said they would have to special order, and this is not only more expensive but I would not be able to test the bow before buying.
Then I hit the web and researched the hell out of compound bows. I was only able to narrow down the accessories (scope, rest, etc.) I think I'll want, but I still don't know about the bow.
Now, I think the best thing to do is buy someones used bow that they want to sell and is older than the Ultramag/Ultrasport models but maybe a higher end bow for a cheaper price. So, I've been browsing Ebay and the like, and I've found 2003 and 2002 Hoyt models as well as other brands. The selection of bows that adjust to 31+ draws is small, but I still don't know if those are good bows or if their specs are valid (see P.S. below).

To make a long story short I would like to ask your opinion as to which bows you would recommend (keeping in mind I'll buy an older bow, that my budget for the bow itself is around $400, and that my draw length is 31.5'').

P.S. I've noticed that the draw lengths specified for many of the same model bows differ, and that the pro shop owners were able to set the draw beyond the specified range. Any comments?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default RE: Newbie here and already frustrated!!!

TT,
Yeah, it is tough to find a workable compromise between performance & $ when shopping. You are right in thinking that you have the opportunity to save a bunch by buying used. Most bows offer some sort of length-of-pull adjustment. It may be as simple as changing a cam module, up to changing the entire rigging (cam(s), cables, and string). Your 31 1/2" draw also will make things a little tougher to find one you can "step into". This can be moderated a bit by your choice of release (shorter effective draw), or using a very slightly longer string. This should let you get good use out of a 30-31" bow.
What I would suggest, go to a larger, more popular, proshop in your area, even if it means some driving. They usually have any number of used bows to try, and the expertise to make any needed adjustments. They may also know who has last years top model, or even one from the year before, and is looking to upgrade. Many of them sponsor shooters that change bows as soon as the new models appear. This allows them to sell a new, top-of-the-line bow, and help out a proven customer, by selling their bow to you. They also have the added bonus of selling you the accessories you will need. They are also there to service their sales. I would caution against any mail-order, including auctions, as there is no way to inspect or try the product. You may, or may not, get what you pay for. Invest some time, and the NECESSARY cash, and this should get you off to a good start.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:54 AM

go Huntersfriend.com and see there package deals...I just started this past summer and got my first bow from them...shot twobucks and a doe with it...they set it up and everything for you for a decent price.....check it out..
Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 PM

To start, I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Now, I went to another pro tonight and shoot a high end Mathews (can't remember which model) at 30'' draw and a Hoyt Ultratec at 30.5'' (BTW, I shot these bows with the idea that I might be able to find an earlier year version for sell somewhere for cheaper). Anyway, we came to the conclusion that I have a 31'' draw. I will, however, be using a loop and release, but doesn't that just add to a lengthened notch position and doesn't effect the placement of the string to the corner of the mouth? If I can work to modify my DL, I might pursue that Ultratec (it was nice). If not, which bow should I look for in the classifieds and Ebay? I'll be looking for a 2003/2002 single cam, 31'' DL, 7+'' brace height, 36+'' bow length, 60-70# hunting bow.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought many bows off Ebay, and have generally been well pleased. Be sure to check out the feedback of the seller, though. I recently got a 6 month old Bowtech for about $300 less than list price new. A Bowtech Pro 38 or 40 would be a good choice for your draw length. The used Hoyts can be had at a resonable used price, and sometimes they will have all the accessories that you need already on the bow. You can often get a really good deal on bows with accessories. One thing you have to watch with Hoyts is that some sellers either don't know the actual draw length range of the bow/cam, or perhaps intentionally overstate it. The Redline cam for instance only has 1" of draw length adjustment. The Ultratec, Protec, as well as some excellent older models like the Defiant will be available in your draw length. Mathews bows are more difficult to get in your price range, although I have gotten two in the 325-400 range, but that was bare bow. They are also not draw length adjustable to any extent except for the original Max-Cam bows like the Conquest. A Mathews Conquest or
Q2 XL would be available in 31" draw. Also, some "off brands" are available for less $, and are very good bows. I recently bought and sold a McPherson 38 Special that was a very quiet, low recoil, accurate bow, very similar in shooting characteristics to a Mathews Q2 XL. PSE makes a few bows that come in your draw length. Lately, I have seen a few shop owners trying to clear out their inventories by selling unused PSE bows on ebay. You can save a lot of money that way. Is there any possibility that a pro-shop or 2 in your area has used bows? Perhaps they might know of some customers who have ordered a new bow, and have excellent used bows that they might want to sell. That way, you might be able to actually shoot the bow before you buy it. Just a thought. You actually have a lot of options here. The good part of all of this is that, IMO, there really isn't that huge a difference between different brands of bows. Almost all makes of bows can be tuned to shoot better than the archer can shoot. Try not to get too frustrated by all of the brands, models, of wanting to shoot only the top of the line bows. You will be able to shoot well with most any well-fitted bow you get, and then you can start to enjoy the sport of archery! Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 AM

Try this place.
archerytalk.com classifiads.

I buy and sell there all the time. Be glad to help any way. My forum name there is Daniel Boone. I have Mathews Conquest lite coming that will be for sell. I beleive its draw length is 31. Just let me know.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:32 AM

you want some good advice. go to an archery store and shoot every bow they got. not every bow is for every person. all bows have there goods and bads. just because a bow costs 700.00 doesnt mean its the best one for you. it might turn out that 200.00 or 300.00 bow shoots better for you. in todays high manufacturing competition they all are moving up there standards. I have shot only a few bows that I would call not worth buying for the price. so check em all out. good luck!!!