Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Target Panic " The Answer" >

Target Panic " The Answer"

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Target Panic " The Answer"

Old 09-19-2003, 12:03 PM

Default RE: Target Panic " The Answer"

correct me if i' m wrong but i thought you had to shoot a release to get target panic?

Old 09-19-2003, 05:01 PM

Back when I shot fingers I didn' t have the problem but it developed a year or so into shooting with a release. I tried to shoot a friends bow with fingers a couple weeks ago and I had the panic on that as well. I think anyone can get it but the habit may develop more frequently in release shooters especially thoes that use an index finger trigger type release.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:19 PM

correct me if i' m wrong but i thought you had to shoot a release to get target panic?
You are definately wrong my friend. I wish you weren' t!!!! About the only people that don' t get it, are traditional archers that don' t use sights. Even they can get mild forms of it.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:22 PM

but the habit may develop more frequently in release shooters
I believe that' s only because there are more release shooters than finger shooters.

Also, though I believe anybody can get it, it' s more prevelant in dot target shooters.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely get it shooting dots. I' m rock solid on 3D and live game though. I guess I have " dot panic" as well.

Mahly, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. I' m looking for a quality thumb fired or back tension release w/a trigger that also has a wrist strap. Do you have any suggestions? The closest thing I have found is the Copper John Eagle line of releases, even though they are fired with the middle finger.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike.
I have the TruBall Extreme thumb release that you can get a wrist strap for.
I started to use it at the begining of the year for 3d and have hunted with it as well.
Tho I dont have the wrist strap when hunting I just lock it onto the loop till I am ready to use it.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just switched to a release this year because I had target panic so bad with fingers. At first, the release was a blessing because it was just like shooting a gun to me, but I have " taught" myself now to PUNCH THE TRIGGER [:' (]---a problem I' m trying to overcome. I believe that target panic is more prevalent in finger shooters--at least the percentage is higher.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:28 AM

I used the Stanislawski X-calibur Back tension release...then after I got it (target panic) under control, for hunting I went to a TRU Ball Chappy Boss. I make sure to fire the chappy with back tension (NOT by squeezing the trigger....put the trigger ahead of your first knuckle, then just pull a little more)
IMNSHO, if you shoot a solo cam bow, or a dual with a HARD back wall, you might be better off starting with the chappy or other thumb trigger release that has VERY little if any trigger travel.
Another back tension release that I really like the concept behind is the TRU ball sweet spot.
BTW...for those just trying out back tension....don' t read TOO much into the name BACK TENSION. You don' t just flex your back, and fire the bow. The idea is that you don' t know WHEN you will fire the bow....basically, when at full draw, you can imagine trying to touch a wall behind you with your release elbow. How ever you do it....stick with it for a little while....whithout a coach there, it can be a little tough...you' ll do it though!
Old 09-20-2003, 06:46 AM

So you guys that switched to BT releases, did you start out shooting at targets or just a blank bale? Sights or no sights to start with?
Old 09-20-2003, 07:29 AM

Mike from Texas...I shoot a Scott Mongoose,but,I tried out the 3-D Thumb Pull from T.R.U.Ball.Very nice release,but I' am used to a wrist strap.So,I found a wrist strap for the Tru-balls,it' s called a Jackie-Strap.It' s made to fit all the new Tru-balls.Got it at Lancaster Archery in PA.for about 30.00 bucks,and they have a web site.Hope this helps.By the way,I' m still shooting the Mongoose,old habits are hard to break...Bob

Quick Reply: Target Panic " The Answer"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.