Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Help with Climbers

Old 07-24-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Help with Climbers

I bought the Myles Keller climbing treestand last year and I had a few problems. How can you be absolutely sure a tree doesn' t get smaller as it gets higher, because I had some problems with my stand slipping while up in the tree. And is there anything I can do to prevent this slipping, using straps etc.?....Thanks alot.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with Climbers

You CAN' T be sure a tree won' t get smaller as you go higher because they DO just that.

Your stand should be mounted to the tree so that the edge furthest away from the tree is significantly higher than the part contacting the tree--experience with it will help you to estimate how much.

As for slipping---most climbers have some sort of strap assembly--even bungee cords--that are used to secure your stand once you' re at the height you want.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:10 PM

Experience climbing will get you the ability to judge how high to angle the platform when you start. I always angle it slightly at the least and more and more depending on the tree. One thing to remember is that you can' t adjust the platform when your 20 feet up so if it' s leaning forward you are screwed and have to climb down and start over. Better to angle a little too much because you can always climb another 5 feet up rather then 20 feet down. I own a Summit and the video that comes with the stands shows you how to adjust the platform when up a tree so all you have to be is close and you can make it level by tinkering a little. Takes some practice but works very well.

I don' t know your stand or what it looks like but I would say that if you are slipping while up in your tree that is a very scarey and dangerous thing. You need to strap yourself and the stand in (I HOPE YOU WEAR A HARNESS) and make absolutely sure that you have the stand placed correctly against the tree.

Call the manufacturer or go back to the store with your concerns because they are serious ones that could get you hurt or killed. Be careful.

My stand grips a tree like a pitbull and I still use an extra strap just to be sure.

Good Luck
Old 07-27-2003, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OlMossyHorns

... How can you be absolutely sure a tree doesn' t get smaller as it gets higher...

Old 07-28-2003, 09:54 AM

As the other guys mentioned, you will need to start off by having your climber tilted toward the tree at bit. Just how much will come with experiance. The only other thing I can add is to be careful about your tree selection. Trees that are wet, have thin bark or bark that flakes off easily will tend to be a bit slippery from time to time. Always wear a harness!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:08 PM

buy a buckshot. this stand uses teeth rather than cords. it hardly does any damage to a tree but is really steady. once i get to the top i slowly put more and more pressure on the teeth and they dig in nice and good.