Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Choosing a broadhead for elk >

Choosing a broadhead for elk

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Choosing a broadhead for elk

Old 06-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Choosing a broadhead for elk

I don' t think any of the heads listed are a bad choice, although I have not tested the new Ironhead or Tradition heads from Rocky so I can' t say for sure they will prefrom although I exspect them to. Since anlter has the experience with elk, and I trust his opinions fully I would probably follow his lead if your having trouble deciding. I really don' t think there is a bad choice in the bunch though.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I bit the bullet and got the $10 a pop heads. I was kind of thinking along the same lines as Antler Eater and Shaky and those montecs just look too good and strong and have more advantages to them over the other heads. Hopefully I' ll find out here in about 75 days.

Just did that little test that Shaky did on some leather sheets with the montecs, deadheads, and innerlocks and there was no camparison. The montecs sliced through the leather like a hot knife through butter while the other two had to be " punched" through with a substantial amount of force behind them. These heads just might be the next best thing. Strong, solid, sharp tip; one piece so nothing can fall out or come loose, and you can sharpen them. Hopefully I will find out but these heads just might be a little " badder through the bone."
Old 06-16-2003, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls,
Those BH are awesome looking, but can you get them to fly good.
I tried snuffers before, which is a similar blade, nothing I did made those things fly well. I like a BH to fly well up to 45yds. Good Luck. elknut1
Old 06-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience has been that they fly great. I have shot them quite a bit at 60 yards and they fly very well.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:44 PM
nub

I think you made the right choice bigbulls. If they hold up for me in my broadhead leagues, I' ll be takeing them moose hunting this fall. They should come with a warning tho; DO NOT SPIN TEST IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND! Trust me on that one.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 PM

Default Choosing a broadhead for elk -- Steelforce Trick

I too am looking to go to a cut on contact head this year, but the challenge has always been getting them to fly straight out of a fast compound bow.

The Montec looks like a great head and I have been wanting to try it.

I was in the bowshop this weekend and several of the guys in there are very devoted to the Steelforce http://www.steelforce.com --- somebody above mentioned the Titanium Hellfire version. Indisputably, the Steelforce head is a very tough cut on contact head, whether you buy the Titanium or not.

But, will it fly straight?

The guys in the bow shop showed me a little trick for those who shoot 100 grain field points.

1. Buy the Steelforce 100 grain four-blade head (2 of the blades are bleeder inserts)

2. Do not install the bleeders. Without the bleeder inserts, the broadhead should weigh 90 grains. For some reason, these guys are convinced that anyone who shoots a 100 grain field point should seek a 90 grain broadhead --- they have tested this on several different style heads.

3. Ideally, you should align the head with the top two vanes of your arrow so that the head lies horizontal when you draw (assuming a shoot through rest).

I tested the above in the shop on the spot and did not even bother with step 3. The broadhead flew perfect and hit in the exact spot as my 100 grain field points at 20 and 30 yards. My bow is well tuned with field points, but I could not believe it. The Steelforce flight pattern was identical to the fields points with no additional tuning. The guys in the shop claim the flight pattern will remain identical to field points out to 60 yards.

My setup:

Mathews Legacy
63 lbs
27.5 draw
ACC 3-60 (4 inch vanes slight helical)
Release aid

Old 06-25-2003, 12:14 PM

HAS ANYONE OR DOES ANYONE USE WASP SST 3 BLADE HEADS?
I HAVE BEEN USING THEM FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND REALLY CAN' T SAY ANY THING BAD ABOUT THEM.
HAS ANYONE TRIED THEM ON ELK?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:23 AM

06 Hunter,

You would be hard pressed to find a better 3-blade chisel point than the Wasp Hammer SST. They are as good as Muzzy and Thunderheads.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:35 PM

See my post above regarding the Steelforce.

Today, I finally got my hands on a package of the Montecs (100 grains). What an awesome broadhead. It will be interesting to see more field reports this fall. The diameter of the head aligns perfectly with an ACC 3-60. Out of the box, the blades are not as sharp as some other brands, but they do shave. G5 discusses this to some extent on its website. http://www.g5outdoors.com.

I shot the head a few times tonight. It flies like a bullet straight out of the box. Point of impact is very close to my field points (3-4 inches to the right) and was consistent out to 40 yards.