Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

choosing a broadhead

Old 12-22-2002, 12:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default choosing a broadhead

After a very bad experience this past season using a shockwave on elk I have definetly decided to use a fixed blade head and am serioulsy thinking about a cut to the tip style head. My only concern with these type heads is that if they encounter heavy bone do the blades have the strength needed to penetrate the bone w/o bending or breaking the lead blade. I am considering the steel force, phantom, bear razor, and the G5 montec. I know the montec has the strength, but how about the others. The lack of the main furrell extending to the tip is what I am worried about. Thank for the input.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: choosing a broadhead

Bigbulls, the shockwaves are an excellent mechanical head for deer, but as you found out not for elk. Elk are just so much bigger and tougher than deer. Most mechanical heads are made with deer hunters in mind.
The monotec's are plenty strong. The phantoms and bear razorheads are also very strong heads, and should be able to withstand a heavy bone. The steelforce heads are going to be the least strong, most becuase of the large unsupported tip. That is not to say they are not strong heads, they are, but from my testing they would be the first ones to bend on identical hits.
You may also want to consider some of the Magnus heads. The snuffers are similer to the monotecs, only bigger, and not quite as strong overall. Magnus also makes a bunch of two and 4 blade heads. The Stingers are a more modern style with stainless blades and come razor sharp out of the package.
Keep in mind though "heavy" bone is a pretty broad term. Ribs, and spine are one thing. a big heavy shouler or leg bone is another. I don't think any head will penetrate really heavy bones unless you have some serieous Kinetic energy. To be honest though any of the heads you listed would be a good choice, and much much better than the shockwaves for elk.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

BIGBULLS That's why all mechanical blades are against the law here in Idaho. I believe you mentioned 4 fixed blades, those are good blades. But don't be to quick to discount muzzy,thunderheads,and like broadheads. Those 2 heads take more elk than anything else in the area we live. We've used both and have drove them clean through both shoulders of elk, not leg bone, but shoulders. If you think about it theirs nothing there to stop a well tuned broadhead with a bow set to 60# plus. I've used the fixed blades before and find them much more difficult to tune, than muzzy or thunderhead. My son and I use muzzy 100 and 125 we shoot minimum 480grn arrows at 74lbs. This works great for us. Hope this helps. elknut1
Old 12-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the replies. I think I will be trying out the muzzies and montecs this spring and summer to see which one flies the best. 5 Shot, I thought about the stingers but would rather have more than two blades doing the cutting to make more of a hole than a slice. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts though on having a good strong tip as opposed to a thin blade up front. After this season I just don't want to leave anything to chance next season. Again, thanks for the input.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls, Muzzys and montecs are both excellent choices. If you are shooting 100 grn heads, the 4 blade stinger will be ready pretty soon. I saw a picture of the prototype head and it looks pretty wicked. In any case you won't go wrong with the Muzzys, they are my personaly head of choice.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-25-2002, 09:43 PM

Gotta love muzzys. My favorite head bar none, as well as many others. If your wanting a cut up front type head, why not Zwickeys? I know there cave man broadheads, but i shot them for a little while and those things were great! There very durable. There a solid piece of Detroit steel. Id take a look at them
Old 12-26-2002, 11:46 AM

some very good heads to consider are the Steelforce, Phantoms, Bear Razorhead, Rocky Mountain T-100, Rocky Mountain Ironhead, Muzzy 100/125, Thunderhead 100/125, and GKF Deadhead 100.

Th emain thing is picking a head that matches the game intented & to consider the amount of energy your rig produces. all the heads I mentioned will work fine on elk. just look at several models before you buy, that way you will get a good head that you feel confident with.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-28-2002, 11:32 AM

My vote goes to a Magnus Snuffer or a Wensel Woodsman

Time is a great teacher,but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.