Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Make your Own Durable, Inexpensive Target >

Make your Own Durable, Inexpensive Target

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Make your Own Durable, Inexpensive Target

Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Make your Own Durable, Inexpensive Target

I wrote a message on the "Block 4x4" thread and I have had several people email me about it, so I figured I would let everyone know.... If you want to make your own very durable target first get a rather large cardboard box. Buy several cans of that yellow foam insulation ie. "Tuff Stuff"... Fill the cardboard box with the foam.. Remember to not fill it up all the way because the insulation expandes a good deal, although the more you put in the box the denser the target will become. Once the box is fulled with the foam tape the box shut.. Tape the box really good so the foam does not come out once it starts expanding.. Place the box in a dry place for a couple of days then tear off the cardboard box... You will have yourself a great target that will easily last a season if not much longer. It works great with both broadheads and field points... One last thing, if you have a factory that makes refigerators or freezers you can try to get them to fill up a box with the insulation they use in the refigerators and freezers, works great also....Hope this helps some of you looking at spending alot of money on a target that will be torn to pieces after the first good afternoon of shooting...
Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Make your Own Durable, Inexpensive Target

At the price of those cans of foam I'll stick to my Cube. It will last me a couple years at least. The type of foam you are talking about has No healing properties at all.

With a little hard shooting from a broadhead I would be blowing through it pretty fast.

Dan
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I use the foam cans to repair my 3-D deer target. it doesn't hold up well at all to BHs. field points do OK at best. i'll stick ti my morrells's bag and block targets.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

i got my hands on a styrofoam block used for boat docks. 4'x4'x2'......lasted 5yrs so far and still going. only used one side so far. put some cardboard, pizza boxes, etc..on front of it and i'm good to go with fieldpoints or broadheads.