Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Update On The Rock

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Update On The Rock

After 2 months of shooting and trying new stuff on The Rock by Diamond I have finally shot my 1st 291 of a 300 round. After only shooting twice a week for the 2 months since getting the Rock,I'm impressed. If speed is what your looking for,then by all means go to thehigh end priced bows, but with my hunting set up I'm getting 254fps and with my 03 Patriot I was getting 273fps. The 03 Patriot was bow of the year for Bowtech and I'm really having a hard timethinking about going back to the Patriot.
Why you ask?
1. I'm carrying 3lbs of bow compared to 7lbs of bow on my Elk gaunts through out the mountains for an average of 15 miles a day. After a few climbs, let me tell you thesubtraction of 4lbs means a world of difference.
2 The difference in bow length: so much easier to get a 31 inch bow through thick bush then a 36 inch bow.The 4 pounds difference makes so much difference when needed to carry the bow above head to get through thick bush to prevent damage.
3 After holding the bow as I'm making the shot I thought this would be the down fall of it ( The Rock ) Well I have to disagree with a lot of what has been said over thissite and a few of the other sites I'm a member of. Everyone says how hard it is to hold a light bow steady,totally disagree. I find I'm actually getting a better anchor and having an easier time staying on target and not having fatigue as I'm holding for any length of time,probably has to due with the the longer stabilizer called the Wild Thing!
4 The added Suppressor by MeanV, totallyshuts the sounddown at the release.This bow can be deadly quiet with very little hand shock at the shot.
Pros & Cons so Far : Pros : 1 Lightness of the bow
2 Speed for what your paying for
3 Price
4 Hand Shock, you really need to feel to find any in my mind
Number one reason forenjoying this quaint little bow,I've been packing it along on my shedding trips for 3 hours a few times a week and have barely noticed it hanging from shoulder from it's shoulder sling.
Cons:1 After getting the bow from Diamond to survey,I found the top cam to come loose after 3 times out shooting.
2 In the wind and out in the open ,it does get hard to hold steady.
3 I've had the local archery shop ask me to actually stop showing the public while I'm their shooting to stop allowing the public to shoot it. It actually caused one customer buyingone of their bows to cancel buying it and go to the local Diamond dealer to buy The Rock.
One other Pro and a head turner: If your in the higher age group as I am, it's been neat to actually see one friend who owns a guardian go out and buy the Rockdue to the pros I just pointed out above. Another who owns a Katera by Hoyt due to it's weight, went out and bought The Rockas a backup.The same goes for a guy who had just bought a new Mathews bow. It's the one that is 30 inches in length too. He actually said he wished I had been there 3 weeks earlier cause it would have saved him $800. He loved The Rock when he shot mine. For a mid priced bow,your getting so much for your money for such a little investment. It's bows in the lower pricing that we as consumers think as we walk by it on the counter,say ,naw it can't be very good,and ask the attendant ,can I try one of those! One of those bows I'm really starting to enjoy.Can't wait to throw my 1st arrow at a live target come September 5th .
Rocky
Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Update On The Rock

Glad everything is working out for you Rocky! Nice review!!

Dan