Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads

Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: broadheads

Lets be honest here. Has anyone so far heard anything bad about the slicktricks? How about the g5 strykers? Muzzy? Ok forget the muzzy. Any other fixed blade have anyone complain about opening on impact? Penetration? Now, lets move on to the mechanicals. The complaints are endless, yet some swear by them. How about this, tune your bow, practice shooting, and dont take low percentage shots. Do all 3 of these and there is no reason for you to shoot a mechanical. One less working part to malfunction. When you do your part, why would you leave the result up to something that has a chance of not working properly?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:17 PM

I was using the NAP Spitfire but was disappointed in the last harvest (no blood trail). I'm using G5 Montecs now and will report findings as soon as the big one steps into view.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: guasto

I use NAP Thunderhead Broadheads, G5 Tekan II, and Grim Reaper Razortip - 125-grain.
How do you like the Razortips??

Mat
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I love G5 Montecs. I have shot 2 deer with the same one. They are extremely easy to sharpen.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM

I have never needed to play around with broadheads. When i bought my bow 8 years ago i bought a package of NAP thunderhead 85. I wanted to shoot a light arrow and i have used the same package of 6 ever since. I havent even sharpened them once either. And yes i have taken deer with them. I havent lost a deer or missed a shot since i bought that package of broadheads and bow. The Bow is a Jennings Buckmaster 2000. I will be retiring it to Bowfishing thisupcoming 2008and getting a Bowtech for bowhunting.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 358WINMAN

I agree with Dan-MeanV2. Slick Tricks are the best fixed blade out there.
Please do the deer a favor and do not shoot mechanicals unless you follow these tips:
Your bow is set for at least a 65lb draw and you practice alot and can place an arrow perfectly out to 25yds.
These Rage and other mechanicals lose far too many deer due to poor penetration unless there is sufficient kinetic energy to drive the mechanical deep. In my honest opinion, if it were up to me, mechanicals would be outlawed period!
Shoot a fixed blade that has a great reputation. Even if you draw only 50lbs, you'll pass through on most shots.
You and we owe that to these magnificent creatures we love so much. Deer should never be "lost" to the failure of mechanicals![:@]
While I will agree with you thatI think fixed positions blades are better than mechanical bladesI disagree with your attitude about if it was left up to you and making them illlegal, the right to make that choice is what makes this country so great with that kind of attitude maybe we should all have to drive a ford,a white one,or everyone shoot a pse ,or carbon express,get the point?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Lets be honest here. Has anyone so far heard anything bad about the slicktricks? How about the g5 strykers? Muzzy? Ok forget the muzzy. Any other fixed blade have anyone complain about opening on impact? Penetration? Now, lets move on to the mechanicals. The complaints are endless, yet some swear by them. How about this, tune your bow, practice shooting, and dont take low percentage shots. Do all 3 of these and there is no reason for you to shoot a mechanical. One less working part to malfunction. When you do your part, why would you leave the result up to something that has a chance of not working properly?
I would like to answer your last question.

I use the Rage 2 blade and it works properly EVERYTIME and they aremore devastating than the broadheads you named above.

And by the way, yes, I have heard problems and bad things about the heads you named above but I chose not to bash other heads. I'd rather talk about how devastating the Rage 2 blade is.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rage 2 blade is a 2" cut, a 4 blade 1 1/8" heads cuts 2 1/4"Which is more devastating?

You figure it out

Dan
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Annika, you missed my point, maybe I didnt explain it right. Except for sharpness right out of the box, on a properly set up bow, there is nothing else that can malfunction on a fixed blade broadhead. Not so on a mechanical. After all the time and preparation I go through, I would rather the problem be pilot error rather than equipment malfunction. Fixed blade = oneless thing to not work properly.

i
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM

I would argue that there gets to be a point of diminishing return as the number of blades goes up. Why not a 6 blade head with a 3/4" cut - total of 2 1/4"of cutting surface? In fact, I would argue that a four blade head with a 1 1/8" cut is only marginally better than a three blade head with a 1 1/8" cut. The issue is the severity of the bleeding the broadhead causes. Those great big holes that you can stick four fingers into are going to drain a lot of blood in a hurry. We can argue theoretical broadhead performance until the cows come home, but I'm seeing these Rage two blade heads putting animals on the ground consistently quicker than anything else out there. My only concern is the possibility of something going amiss due to the mechanical nature of the head. When it opens like it should, which appears to be a very high percentage of the time, they seem to be working like gangbusters.

Quick Reply: broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.