Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

feathers or vanes?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: feathers or vanes?

i dont know where someone got there info about feathers loosing accuracy. ive shot mine to the point that there are only parts of some left on the arrow and it still shoots perfect. also spray them with nosno never get soaked. ive hunted in down pours and had no problems with accuracy even before i got nosno.

feathers (4") are still lighter then blazers by about 1/2 (my friend picked up 8fps just switching to feathers)and they steer better then anything else. im able to shoot another 5yrds with one pin using feathers over my arrows with blazers on them (none as of today) i missed my target today and went through my hail bail back stop and the blazer was ripped now it shot funny and loud. with feathers ive ripped off the first 3/4 of a feather and still shot fine out to my max distance of 50yrds.

i used to think feathers were stupid until i tried them ill never go with anything else.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanx bradkoz-there for awhile I thought I was the last man alive on the planet still using feathers.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Thanx bradkoz-there for awhile I thought I was the last man alive on the planet still using feathers.
Maybe there are three of us. I use vanes once in a while, mainly little ones for 3D, but for all round use I prefer feathers.

And I'm very much in agreement with Bradkoz on one issue. If it raining hard enough to flatten my feathers down then it's probably raining to hard to take a chance on losing a blood trail, so I either leave the woods or don't go out in the first place.

As for the debate about accuracy loss. I think most of these statements are made by people who haven't really tried shooting both really tuning for each or have adequate knowledge of downrange ballistics in archery.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

No reason for the slams BGfisher. The debate about feathers or vanes goes on and on, don't it? Whatever you, or anybody else says, the fact is featers lay down when they get wet. I didn't make that up. If you don't hunt in the rain, fine. Feathers are a fine product and certainly have some advantages over vanes. Personnally, I hunt in the rain. Some of the biggerst deer I've killed have been after sitting through a downpour in my stand,or riding out a drizzly day for hours. Yes, you canuse waterproofing on feathers. Does it work? Maybe. I've known fellas getting their feathers soaked just walking in the dark to their stand after a night of rain by brusing up against foliage. Either way, it's just one less thing I worry about shooting Blazers, and I don't believe I'm compromising accuracy. Maybe I could get 1 inch groups at 30 yards with feathers, instead of the 2 inch groups I get with Blasers. But then again,I'm no down range arrow ballistics expert. I'm just a hunter.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Spike

Very nice looking ammo you have there!

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

Gateway Rayzr feathers!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

I just made the switch to Blazers and man I am IMPRESSED!