Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber >

Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber

Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber

Anyone ever use this climber? I am thinking of purchasing it because it is so light and portable. I am worried that it will be difficult to climb with. My current piece of crap climber has a safety bar that supports my forearms when climbing, but weighs in close to 40lbs. This Lone Wolf only weighs 14.5lbs., and folds up to 2.5" thick. What do you guys think?

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0026323.shtml
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber

I have used this model for two years. It is extremely light and compact: if mobility is your objective, you can't beat this model. It is not very comfortable: even after adding a closed cell foam pad to the original seat pad, 3-4 hours is all that I can take.

I do not climb in the recommended way (hold seat with forearms and lift platform with legs): this is way too gymnastic. Instead, I balance on the seat and pull up the platform with the two connecting straps. This works very well on smooth bark trees; not so well on rough bark trees like cherry. Descending is similar except that I added a wire loop on the end of the platform so that I can tip it up with my foot to dislodge from the tree.

I will probably purchase the sit-n-climb seat to use with my platform. I suspect this will work out better. In hindsight, I wish that I had spent the extra few dollars to purchase this version at the beginning.

I have also looked at the Summit Bullet backpacker, but I think that I prefer the Lone Wolf.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM

I bought this stand beginning of last bow season and I love it. Not only is is light, it is quiet as hell - no loud metal on metal parts clanking in the woods. Climbing takes a little coordination (and a little upper body strength) but its not difficult to do.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Spike

It is great for what it is made for. Compact and light. I use mine in the mountains because I would never pack anything as heavy as my Summit Viper, which is OK in the South, where it stays on the tree and isn't packed in each day. So it is a tradeoff for what you want: comfort or packability.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 PM

Love mine I have had it since2002. Its everything they claim it to be ultra quiet especially in below freezing i can't stress that enough. other stands I have including my wifes new buckbuster. will pop or creak in the cold not the LW. there are no welds or rivets dead quiet.
You can barely feel it on you back when packing in. And it takes no time at all to set up and climb.
It is easy to climb with its not hard at all. If you can't climb with the LW your probabbly not in good enough shape to bowhunt.
It is expensive but well worth it. I love it for quick hunts and when I want to try different areas.
And I have sat in mine from dark to dark. Its not bad for comfort. There are more comfprtable stands out ther but a pain to haul and set up.
You will love it!