Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Fixed Blade or Mechanicals >

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

I used mechancials when I first started bowhunting. I shot a buck and the blades never opened. I got lucky and got my prize butI switched to fixed blades and won't look back.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I am understanding that the real advantage to using a mechanical over a fixed is increased accuracy. This is why I went with the mechanicals to help with accuracy. I used the crimson cuda last season and it worked great for me. there was no bending down and searching for blood the stuff was all over the place, as I say this I will also knock on wood because we all know, no deer kills are identical they're all different.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Each have their time and place in the woods; My quiver packs a pair of Thunderheads and a pair of Snypers, which one flys depends on the situation. With that said; The Thunderhead is on the string more often than not, I know it can handle whatever I need it too...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm kinda leaning the same way. Although the G-5 Montec will be my primary broadhead this season, plan to have a couple of Rage 2 blade expandables in the quiver just in case a long shot comes up.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was going to get new heads untilI shot my Muzzy 125 gr(not MX model)over the Holiday week. hitting where my field tips do.

Now that money will go toward other things that i need not want for this fall.

Roskoe,

You need to try the Rage 2 out on the first animal and then let it sit for the long shot after that if you want to. I'm interested in how they perform from someone that I "know".
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM

I might just do that. Only problem is that the first tag I'll be chasing will be elk. And if things go like we are planning, it is going to be a late afternoon ambush at the water hole. Shooting through the screens of the ASATblind, I'm going to need the fixed head. If I'm stalking out in the tall sagebrush like I wound up doing in 2005, then the Rage is going to be on the string. Have to see how it works out.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM

my dad used mechanicals once one of the blades broke off inside the deer hates them now. Our whole family uses Muzzy but if you make a good shot anything will bring a deer down. The good thing with Muzzy it has a 1 1/4 inch cutting diameter and it has a bone splittingtip so if you do shoot them in the shoulder you can still knock the deer down.I would use a Fixed Blade.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Hard to go wrong with Muzzy. Some of the most experienced bow hunters I know use Muzzys.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot 100gr. hammerheads and they have never let me down on deer or turkey.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 AM

last year my cousin was shooting at a doe when his mechanicals opened up in mid air and hit a tiny twig resulting in a miss. wors things could of happen like woudin a deer. so he now shooting thunderhead fixed blades

Quick Reply: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.