Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Fixed Blade or Mechanicals >

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

I have had fixed heads break more often than mechanicals. Might sound odd but, thats the truth.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Spike

I have used the SlickTricks and G5, and have been very happy with their grouping and performance in taking game.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Boy did you open a can of worms. I have taken deer, elk, javelina, turkey, and black bear with a variey of broadheads. I have had good results with G5's, Rocky Mtn titaniums, and Muzzy fixed blade heads. I did break a blade off of a Rocky Mtn Titanium on a javelina a couple of years ago. However, this past May my wife and I both took two black bears in Alberta using the new Rage broadheads. I shot one with a 2 blade and one with a 3 blade Rage and the results on both were incredible. The entry wounds were as large, if not larger than the exit wounds and the blood trails were unbelievable. My guide made the statement that Stevie Wonder could have found my first bear there was so much blood. They really do fly just like a field point which is something I have wanted for years. I have always been able to get tight groups with fixed heads but by using the Rage heads, I don't have to tune out the 1 or 2 inch difference from my field points. I am sold on the Rage Broadheads. I also happen to know Randy Ulmer and I guarantee you he would not use an inferior product because some sponsor paid him to. He is not only a professional archer, he is a hunter.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Hick442

last year my cousin was shooting at a doe when his mechanicals opened up in mid air and hit a tiny twig resulting in a miss. wors things could of happen like woudin a deer. so he now shooting thunderhead fixed blades
Sorry, but if you hit a twig with a fixed blade, the result is the same. I doubt the head opened and caused the arrow to hit the twig, the more likely scenario is that the twig opened the head... stuff happens.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:46 PM

the cut of a 2 blade wouldnt close. skin has tension on it or else our skin would slide all around. skin tension is the reason we have to get stiches. i know humans arnt exactly like deer but the tension there keeps it open. im not picking sides but just stating facts.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 09mjl01

the cut of a 2 blade wouldnt close. skin has tension on it or else our skin would slide all around. skin tension is the reason we have to get stiches. i know humans arnt exactly like deer but the tension there keeps it open. im not picking sides but just stating facts.
The cut of a 2 blade may not close per-say but they will plug much quicker and bleed out less than say a 4 Blade head which I prefer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Dan
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't tried mechanicals but would like to and see how the performance is. I currently shoot 100 grain Thunderheads and they haven't failed me yet. I do believe it comes down to making the best possible shot a hunter can make and should make. But on the other hand, we all know shots can go wrong and will go wrong.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's your answer then.Any broadhead will kill a deer if shot placement is what it should be.However,what happens if you encounter heavy bone?Do want a wide mechanical with weaker blades?I knowI don't.I hear so many people say they use wide mechanicals just in case they make a poor hit.That makes no sense to me.A wide mechanical may kill a deer slightly faster than a fixed blade with a gut shot but it will hamper the situation if you hit heavy bone.I know from personal experience that I'm more likelyto hit heavy bone,especially when shooting from a treestand thanI am to hit the guts.On top of that,in my experience,most gut shot deer will run a little way and just lay downand die if not pressured.I just can't see aany advantage with a mechanical overa fixed blade and I'vekilled dozens with both.I've killed 15 deer over the past4 seasons with slick tricks and none have run out of sight.No mechanical will give better results than that.In fact,I made a terrible shot,hitting one deer square in the ham on a quartering away shot.The broadhead angled up into the chest cavity,burying the arrowup to the fletch.That deer didn't go 20 yards.