Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Fixed Blade or Mechanicals >

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

ORIGINAL: annika3

I know that the Drury's, Jay Gregory, Randy Ulmer, Lee and Tiffany, Chuck Adams and many more are shooting 2 blade Rage heads and they wouldn't be using them if they didn't work. Their careers dependon it.
News flash: Professional hunters often get paid to hunt with a certain product regardless of their personal beliefs.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

ORIGINAL: annika3

I know that the Drury's, Jay Gregory, Randy Ulmer, Lee and Tiffany, Chuck Adams and many more are shooting 2 blade Rage heads and they wouldn't be using them if they didn't work. Their careers dependon it.
News flash: Professional hunters often get paid to hunt with a certain product regardless of their personal beliefs.

That's not true. Professional hunters have to pay for all their own equipment and buy only the products that they want to use. That holds true for all professional athletes as well.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 PM

From my limited personal experience, not all mechanicals are created equal. Some require a fair amount of KE to open, some require almost none. Some are a little fragile for larger game and bone. Most fly just like field points. Most aren't good for shooting through mesh on ground blinds.

Of all the mechanicals out there, the Rage two blade intrigues me the most. Reputation is great - very high probability ofa pass through, massive blood loss, animal on the ground in a very short distance. I want to try them on game (elk and deer) this fall.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not all mechanicals are created just like not all fixed blades are created equal.Mechanicals will certainly kill game but to say they're superior than fixed blades is more than just stretching it.If people really told the truth,we'd find that the vast majority of people use mechanicals because they're shooting an un-tuned bow and they can't get their fixed heads to shoot with their fieldpoints.

I know I'll take durability and better penetrationany day over a wider cutting diameter.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougE

Not all mechanicals are created just like not all fixed blades are created equal.Mechanicals will certainly kill game but to say they're superior than fixed blades is more than just stretching it.If people really told the truth,we'd find that the vast majority of people use mechanicals because they're shooting an un-tuned bow and they can't get their fixed heads to shoot with their fieldpoints.

I know I'll take durability and better penetrationany day over a wider cutting diameter.
I'v been bowhunting for 25 years and shot fixed for the first20 years and yes I know how to tune a bow. I started using the snyper5 years agoand then the Rage last year because I do believe it to be superior overall at bringing down and animal.

I guess what you are saying is that the guys I mentioned above don't know how to tune a bow.

I will add that a good fixed head is a good fixed head and I'm not saying that they are no good but I do believe theRage is a Superior broadhead.

Pictures are worth a million words and you can't deny the holes and penetration the Rage puts in an animal.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about the 2-blade Rage until I read an article that talked about 2 blade broadheads and how even the fixed 2-bladed use bleeder blades to ensure that the wound will not close after dealing with wounds closing up.

A guy in another forum mentions the issue I stated above. Shot a deer and it went 150 yds with no blood trail.
He even says he's switching to the 3-blade and it seems that most of what I read otehr people have made the same decision.

I have no doubt that it cuts a mean path through a deer.However, after reading that article and some posts I would by the 3-blade and am not evengoing to consider a 2-blade.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion. However, to state the 2 blade Rage is Superior is just that. Your opinion.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:47 AM

To create a bigger controversy google broadhead penetraton test. You find a site where a man did a penetration and durability test. The two that stood alone were Rocket Steelhead(mechanical), and in second Rocket Ultimate steel(fixed). Myles Keller did a magazine ad for Rocket that showed similiar results.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Dave - I have seen some of this in the past. The old Bear Razor heads used to shoot real well in some bows without the razor inserts, but were known to sometimes create wound "slits" that closed up shortly afterwards. These Rage two blades, however, seem to have a reputation for causing tremendous blood loss. Not sure if its' the the little COC point that is perpendicular to the blades - but for whatever reason they seem to work.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roskoe,
It seems like there is too much information both ways for the head form people using them. On another forum (not AT) a guy talks about having to get friends help him track a buck over 150 yds due to no blood trail. He did say that the chest cavity was full of blood though. A well known archer did tests and talked about wound slits even with the 2" wound. Others talk about how well the 2 blade is but then say they are going to use the 3 blade.

However, then I read articles about how well the 2 blade does on game by other people that plan on to continue to use them.

Maybe for me there is just too many people on both sides of the fence on this head and that's why I stated I wouldn't use them. The 3 blade on the other hand stands out more to me and has caught my eye. 1.5" in 3 directions is better than 2" in 2 directions in my mind. Large round wound, major damage. Of course, my Muzzy's leave pretty big holes in deer too.

I've never shot an animal with the 2 blade to say what it does or doesn't do. I'm just stating my thoughts based on what I've read in threads and articles. I have no doubt what the blades will do to an animal and could be totally wrong on how they perform.And I'm not calling them trash. Or telling anyone not to use them. Just giving my opinion based on what I read. Just too much both ways for me to try them. I hope they work well for you.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:53 AM

Maybe six months from now I'll be cursing these things and going back to the three and four blade heads. I'm thinking their best case scenario would be broadside in the lungs. But I could visualize a big two blade head hitting near the heart and, if it's travelling parallel to a nearby large artery, not doing much damage - whereas a three blade head would slice that artery either way. I guess we'll have to wait and see . . . . but for now, there sure seem to be a lot of experienced archery hunters using the 2 blade Ragewith success.

Quick Reply: Fixed Blade or Mechanicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.