Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Elk hunting Backpack needed >

Elk hunting Backpack needed

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Elk hunting Backpack needed

Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Elk hunting Backpack needed

It is that time of the year again to buy new gear for the upcoming elk hunt. Every year I want a new backpack, but never find one that fits my needs. What do you guys recommend for a backpack that you can live out of for a week in the mountains? I have looked at several, and I am never fully satisfied. Usually they are too heavy. The latest one I am looking at is the Cabelas extreme light series. It is a 5000 in3 pack that weighs about 4 pounds. The pack in the store says 4 pounds, the website says over 6. So there may be another shot down. Any ideas? What size do you guys use? My current one is 7200 in3, but that is huge.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting Backpack needed

I have the cabelas alaskan right now as my neighbors dog ate my camptrails moose pack last year. That moose packWAS the best I have had yet.

I had that on a Mc Kinley frame, which I put the cabelas pack on. I am not sold on the cabelas frame. The guy I hunt with always seems to be fixing something on his frame.

I don't know what you put in the pack, but if weight is an issue, you might be able trim weight in other areas also.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was looking for another pack right now, I would seriously consider this one.

http://www.blacks-creek.com/jimshockey.php
Old 04-27-2007, 12:16 PM

www.kifaru.net Longhunter series. This is serious gear so I wouldn't recommend it for a one time deal. I've never regretted the investment, but I use it every day that I hunt.