Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

which sight?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 AM

Default which sight?

Have Question for everyone. which sight is best for hunting, one pin,three pin,or five pins sights? pro's & con's to them, thanks for your help!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: which sight?

One pin adjustable sights are great for 3d-you dont have other pins clogging up your sight window,but for hunting I would not recomend a sight that you have to adjust,in fact I would strongly recomend against it, as for 3-5-7 pin sights,it depends on how far you want your bow sighted in for,obviously you`ll start at 20 yards so 3 pin sights limit you to 20-30-40 or 20-40-60 ,5 pin sights are a little more flexible ,7 pin sights are great if you want to shoot long distances but your sight window begins to get messy,you will need to get used to counting down so as not to use the wrong pin. I use 6 pins set for 20-40-50-60-70-80 the 50 yard pin is the only one that is not green or red so I use that as a referance point to quickly put the right pin on the target
Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM

Default RE: which sight?

It depends on your focus level. Some people find multiple pin sights distracting when a buck comes in and they have to find the right pin and pick a spot with rattled nerves, the more pins, the more chance of picking the wrong one. The disadvantage to a single pin is that if it's set for what you think is going to be a 20 yard shot and after you draw the animal presents a 30 yard shot, you've got to use some "Kentucky windage" or in this case; elevation. I'd generally say, the fewer pins the better but it's going to be a personal preference. Whichever you choose the most important thing is to learn your system well through practice, practice and more practice.