Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Gorilla Greyback climber >

Gorilla Greyback climber

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Gorilla Greyback climber

Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gorilla Greyback climber

I just started using one of these, great stand. so far i made the following modifications. (1) i took the strap off that goes behind your heels and replaced it with a stronger bungie cord. (2) i took the strap off that holds the two stand sections together, i found this strap was getting in the way of the teeth on the platform when you climbed and would eventually cause you to slip. (3) i tied a large knot in the ends of the straps that lock the stand sections to the tree, if you don't do this, the clips WILL fall off. and last but not least, if you fold both sections flat and use ratchet straps it works better then the way they suggest. the hammock seat works great if you do not stand a lot, it will move back on you and you have to readjust each time.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gorilla Greyback climber

I have an Ol'man, similiar to the Gorilla. I'd recommend putting some type of harness or strap between your two stands, the seat and the foot rest, trust me, you don't want to be sitting in the seat and have your foot platform go down the tree....trust me, you want these two pieces connected.

If it's getting in the way, you don't have something right.

I love the Ol'man, it's an incredible stand and as far as I'm concerned, one of the best if not the one.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM

"you don't want to be sitting in the seat and have your foot platform go down the tree....trust me, you want these two pieces connected."

Definitely! I would re-emphasize this, not a pretty situation to be in.
Both the Greyback and Ol'man are great stands.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestion, but in 40 years of bow hunting and using climbing tree stands i have never had the platform fall on me. i guess it is because i take steps to ensure that is locked firmly to the tree, either by bungee cords or rachet strap.