Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Full Metal Jackets

Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Full Metal Jackets

I started the season with the FMJ's and I have to say I am very pleased with the performance of these arrows. Is there anyone else that has been shooting these and if so do you have any thoughts good or bad. I only got a half dozen and while I haven't experienced any problems I am wanting to hear from others before I go and get another dozen and commit myself.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Full Metal Jackets

Well , I tried to get some. I was really interested in them, but no one anywhere around me had any, and I couldn't find them on line. So I said forget it and bought 2 doz. Easton A/C/C's.

I have heard they are great though. But all that matters is if you like them. If you have shot those 6 and you have had no problems to report, and you are happy with their performance,....... commit.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:03 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting them for about a month and no complaints so far. Out of the dozen I bought I don't have any fliers. I have put broadheads on all of them and shot them and they all shoot the same. I haven't used them on game yet but don't see why they wouldn't perform well. I think they are the ticket if you like heavy arrows. A lot of weight with a thin diameter. Note, if you miss the target and hit a tree it will ruin the shaft and attatched muzzy.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Pretty good arrows. I'm not sure why they are less expensive than an A/C/C....they are the same thing just inside out....BUT, we've tested them at the shop and they aren't as durable as I would like them to be. The Axis is better, IMO. They also didn't penetrate as well. But they are good arrows none the less. Personally, I'll stick with the A/C/C.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Pretty good arrows. I'm not sure why they are less expensive than an A/C/C....they are the same thing just inside out....
Aren't the tolerances (both straightness and weight variance) on the A/C/C quite a bit better?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:34 PM

They are indeed, but not a whole lot....I just checked...

FMJ is .003 for straight and +/- 2 gr. for weight.

ACC is .002 for straight and +/- .5 gr. for weight.

Both are made using 7075 aluminum alloy.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Ive had my FMJ's for about a little over a month now and i love em. Im shootin the 340s which are a little on the heavy side at 11.1 gpi but the penetration im gettin with them is insane. I arrowed a doe on the evening of opening day of Ohio archery season and got a clean pass through at 30 yards no problem. I also bought a half dozen but after 2 weeks I was quick to go get another dozen and they've been flawless so far for me so I would definately recommend another dozen...Hope this helped...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the FMJs, and have since I bought my Old Glory in July and I am really happy with them. I shoot the 300s because I need the extra stiffness at my draw length. All of mine out of the dozen were true fliers and I have a hard time believing that the Axis is any more durable. Definitely worth the $ in my opinion and I would encourage you to go and pick up another dozen. One added advantage that just occured to me again also is the ease of refletching because you don't have to worry about gouging the carbon, as it is on the inside. Just a small advantage, but still one more thing over the pure carbons.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Well thanks guys. like I said I like them and I am really happy with how they shoot. I have taken a turkey and a doe with them and I didn't have any problems at all. I was just wondering if there was that one instance where someone didn't like them for what ever reason. I had ACC's before and they shot fine but I had them for a few years and wanted to go with a heavier arrow. Thanks sounds like there weren't any glaring problems other then personal preference. Just wanted to make sure I didn't just get lucky.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:28 AM

Mobo,
I get the total opposite results. I too shoot both and get about 6" (60yds) of drift or plaining with the AXIS on longer shots and about 3" less penetration. Haven't had any issues with damage if I stick a board or bone. The Axis have shown stress in that case. Just my experience. I can't afford the A/C/C. I like them but they cost $$$$. Easton makes a great arrow.