Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

arrows..

Old 10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default arrows..

i need some arrow reviews. im willing to spend upto about 150$ a dozen bare shafts...not shopping till this seasons over but ill be needing them at this rate. i want something tough and durable...and accurate. im considering ACCs or FMJs. the FMJs would help me from shooting my arrows and just nicking the carbons fibers...but if i spend 150$ a dozen i wont be shooting multiple shots anymore lol. ill probably go with 28-28.5 inches long...and want a finished arrow weight of atleast 400grs. closer to 450 if possible..this is my hunting rig. i rather shoot a little more KE. right now im shooting ST Epic 400s at 27 inches. total wieght is like 370ish. i just rather be around 450 or so finished. i can bump up to 125gr heads..that wont bother me. just looking for advice so i can start looking at my options..mainly looking to pick up accuracy, KE, and durability. the epics are OK...but im ready to step up. thanx guys...

ps...im not STUCK on easton..i just hear so much about ACCs and already shoot epics. no problem with the epics. out of a dozen i had NONE shoot better or worse than the others...only ones i broke were the ones ive shot. they are just on the light side
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Default RE: arrows..

Get the Easton Axis ST carbons. I shoot the 340's. Don't worry about being stuck on Easton. World champions are, why shouldn't you? I vastly prefer the Axis over the ACC's. They are definitely, if nothing else, more durable.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:03 PM

I disagree whole heartadly.....A/C/C's are not less durable than Axis....I wouldn't say they are MORE durable though either. You would actually be doing quite well w/ either, but I pick the A/C/C because of the tighter tolerances, and they are just the best arrow on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

I just shot a doe 2 weeks ago through BOTH shoulder blades. Complete pass through and in fact, I never found the arrow. I shoot the 3-60, with wraps and blazers. My finished arrow weight is 425 gr.

Again, the Axis is indeed a very, very good arrow. If you decide on those, you've done very well. I'll list a few, in preferencial order:

A/C/C
Axis
Maxima Hunter
Gold Tip Pro Hunter
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

If you are willing to spend that kind of money then go with the ACC. You get the best of both worlds with tolerances and durability. If you like/want a heavier arrow I would go with the FMJ, tolerances are still good but they pack a lot of weight in a slim shaft. I have been very pleased with mine thus far. They fly well, haven't had any durability issues that weren't my fault, a good arrow.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 PM

If you want something in the 450 grain weight with a 28" arrow your going to have to go with the A/C Super Slim. I'm shooting a 500 grain total weight Super Slim in 340 deflection with 125 grain heads at 29" in my 71# bow. They have a few more grains/inch of shaft than either the Axis or the A/C/C. The A/C/C is the toughest arrow I've ever shot but I haven't really torture tested my Super Slims yet. I'd suspect that with their heavier weight, they're even tougher than the A/C/C.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys..pretty much everything i was looking at. i do indeed like the weight of the FMJs or AC super slims. since i mainly hunt i should focus on gaining some KE before next year. not that i see anything wrong with a light arrow..a heavier one cant hurt and i hunt pretty thick woods so my shots arent far. maybe ill find a shop that has some of the arrows and i can see them for myself. now im leaning towards the AC superslims..but i gota alot to think about..
Old 10-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

mauser, I use ACC's as well. Mine finish at 27" weighing in at 381 with 2" Blazers and 100 grain heads.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting a 28" FMJ with Blazers and 125gr broadheads and the total weight is 476 grains.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 PM

Apparently I've had some bad luck. I took two deer down with the same arrow (both small does, yearlings), which was an Axis. I've shot through my 3 month old bag target quite a few times with them as well. When they go through that, they hit concrete that I've got it set against. My A/C/C's shattered, which makes you want to drop your knees and cry. But the Axis arrows don't have the slightest hairline crack in them. That's just one guy's experience, though. And I'm with mobowhuntr in that the A/C/C and Axis lines of arrows are among the top, I've just personally had more luck out of the Axis. Good luck choosing!