Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bows and Broadheads

Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bows and Broadheads

Im 17 and starting to bowhunt.Im looking for a bow thats a cheap price but still performs good...

Also wats a good broadhead for deer.. I have the Crimson Talons right now
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Default RE: Bows and Broadheads

It was not too long ago that I was in the same situation as you. Basically every bow company has their top of the line to bottom of the line bows. You can go to a place like Wal-mart and pick up an inexpensive bow package, but the performance you are looking for will not be there. I suggest, if money is an issue, going to your local bow shop and looking at last years models of bows. A local place here in Michigan will sell last years model for several hundred dollars less than it's brand new counterpart. If you do that, you will probably pay around $300-$400 dollars for a great bow instead of $500-$700. It is still a little pricey, but worth it. As for brands, most out there are top quality. I personally shoot a Darton and love it. It is six years old and can still compete with any bow on the market today. Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, Wheeler, and whisper creek are all good brands. As far as broadheads...I could go on and on. If you want simplicity, expandables take all the guess work out of tuning broadheads. However penetration is an issue. Personally I shoot fixed or replaceable blade heads. Currently I am shooting the G5 Striker. It has worked very well thus far. The crimson talons, from what I have heard, are a good head but several people I know have had trouble tuning them. I guess if it works for you then use them. I hope that this "novel" has been helpful.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:49 PM

I've heard that Reflex is your best bargain on a good bow...idunno. Definately look in the used market. I have a mathews feathermax that is about 6 years old. Its IBO is 310 and its still going strong. I would've bought a new one by now...but I wouldn't be gaining any speed (and I don't really need any more...besides, IBO310 is still top-of-spectrum). If I found it in a store today it wouldn't cost near what I paid for it back then. On broadheads I adhere to the KISS principle unless you are shooting a very "picky" setup. (A high poundage, high speed, light arrowed setup) KISS principle broadhead are the good ole thunderheads 125, Muzzy 125 or any of the "old-fashioned" looking cut-on-contact two blades. Most guys who go after deer have plenty of bow and then some. Any *properly tuned* compound of 50pounds or more has plenty of energy to get complete pass-throughs. The trick is to get everything tuned right and working the way it should. But don't worry, most my buddies don't have a clue on how to tune bows yet they bring home deer every year. It can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM

Check out the Reflex Highlander or the Reflex Excursion. Excellent bows for the money. That Highlander is probably the best value in the industry right now. Your Talons will kill deer, no question. Personally I like a Magnus Stinger, but that's just me.