HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bows and Broadheads
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM
hldeerhunter

Default RE: Bows and Broadheads

It was not too long ago that I was in the same situation as you. Basically every bow company has their top of the line to bottom of the line bows. You can go to a place like Wal-mart and pick up an inexpensive bow package, but the performance you are looking for will not be there. I suggest, if money is an issue, going to your local bow shop and looking at last years models of bows. A local place here in Michigan will sell last years model for several hundred dollars less than it's brand new counterpart. If you do that, you will probably pay around $300-$400 dollars for a great bow instead of $500-$700. It is still a little pricey, but worth it. As for brands, most out there are top quality. I personally shoot a Darton and love it. It is six years old and can still compete with any bow on the market today. Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, Wheeler, and whisper creek are all good brands. As far as broadheads...I could go on and on. If you want simplicity, expandables take all the guess work out of tuning broadheads. However penetration is an issue. Personally I shoot fixed or replaceable blade heads. Currently I am shooting the G5 Striker. It has worked very well thus far. The crimson talons, from what I have heard, are a good head but several people I know have had trouble tuning them. I guess if it works for you then use them. I hope that this "novel" has been helpful.