Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit harness...

Old 03-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Summit harness...

I recently bought a Summit Viper X5. The harness that comes with it (Free) is driving me crazy. It seems to get so tangled all the time. I find myself taking WAY too long trying to put it on! Putting it onin the dark is going to make it that much harder. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Summit harness...

That is why I bought a Seat of the Pants harness a few years ago. It is amazing how it doesn't tangle up when in storage. It has it's own little built in pouch to store it in, and when you get it out it isn't tangled at all. The year after I bought mine they came out with the vest models. I would have bought one of them if they would have been out, but the SOTP works fine. I will be honest with you, I HATE wearing a harness. I am one of those guys who cheated injury or death for years, but a few years ago my hunting buddy had a talk with me when we were out hanging stands. He got it through my thick head that sooner or later my luck was gonna run out, and that I have a beautiful wife and daughter at home that really do need me. well, I have been wearing one ever since. I was blessed that nothing ever happened, but like I said, I am sure my time was gonna come. I know that they new harnesses are a bit pricey, but they are well worth it. And they are so much more comfortable, safer and user friendly than the old single waist straps. And the fact that you don't have to spend valuable minutes of hunting time trying to untangle them makes them well worth it. Sell the freebie you got on e-bay and use the money to get you a better one. It will be worth it!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I use the same safety strap. Take the loose ends and fold them up and put a rubber band around them. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to put on when they arent dangling down gettingTangled. I always put the rubber bands in a pocket so when i'm done wearing it i can fold them back up for the next time.

Zach
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It takes some gettin used to but once you practice with it some you will get the hang of it. I took a big permanent marker and put a big "L" and a big "R" on the corresponding straps to make them easier to find.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:32 PM

Get the hunters safety system,you know the vest. I had a harness and yeah they look like a can of worms,when you try and put them on. I know people are going to say the hunters safety system vest will rack your privates if you do fall. But!!! They will save you from a fall and they are 100 percent easer to put on.Just dont fall LOL
Old 03-27-2006, 09:36 AM

I put mine on by trucklight and walk to and from my stand with it on. I wash it after every 2 or 3 uses in scent free soap, and spray it every time with scent killer. I thought about getting the Hunter Safety System vest, but in the heat of South Florida, the last thing I need is another layer of clothing to wear.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Fatsbucknut...The rubberbands were a great idea (My son gave me the same tip). No more tangles! I think I'll go one step further and use clothes pins. They should hold better.
VAhuntr...I also took your advice and marked left and right. I am now all set! Thanks guys.