Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadheads.........?

Old 04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads.........?

ORIGINAL: jarman

We are still looking for the perfect head, in our quest we are looking for a cut on impact with a chisel head that has replaceable blades, flies great, sharp and holds up. We have tried a lot of heads and all are good but here are some of our experiences with them that we didn't like.

Thunderheads- We have shot them for a long time but are tired of trying to get them to fly.

Talons- blades fold in, brother shot an elk behind the shoulder and the elk was double lunged but went 3/4 of a mile, two out of three blades were folded and not cutting.

Spitfires- blades are to long and make contact before head causing deflections out of treestand.

ABC Sonics - great head, fly great, super sharp but tip bends on impact.

Grim reaper- nice head but we have giving up on mechanicals because of lack of penetration. Shot a turkey at five yards shooting 65lbs, turkey ran off with arrow, zero penetration.

Muzzy- great head but same problems as thunderheads for us.

We are now trying out Wac'ems and think we may have found our head!!!
All of the above are good heads but in our opinion didn't perform to our expectations.
So at this point in time, what do you recommend, or like?[&:]
Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Spike

Good question ? The two that have our attention are Wac'em Triton and Slick trick. I talk to Scott From Wac'em and he is a great guy and I like his design so hopefully I will be able to tell you in a few days how they work.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Spike

Default JLMOORE Thanks

Hey JLmoore I see your in the Armed Forces and stationed in Iraq. Just want to say thank you and if you ever get to ND look us up so We can shake your hand and hook you up with some great hunting!!!! One of my Buddys who is on our Staff is full time Guards and spent 18 months over there. Keep your head down and be safe. Send me your address and I will ship over a few of our hunting shows. We are no Realtree but we love what we do and we have fun!
Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: JLMOORE Thanks

Last year I used grim reapers on 3 deer & got pass thru's on all 3. Took 2 more with Tekan expandables, one pass thru & the second one stopped in a spine loosing a blade & the arrow went bout half way thru. 2 with muzzys & 3 with cabellas f3 I think they were called. I got 2 turkeys as well with rocky mtn revalutions, they stopped in the birds but were poking out the far side. & neither flew off.

The only ones I can complain at all about are the F3's not leaving much blood. None of the deer went more that 50 or 60 yards but they were all in thick brush & hard to find even in snow. Coulda been a fluke tho.

All the other IMHO worked just fine. I'm pretty new to bowhunting but have drawn the conclusion that if you shove a 1 1/4' blade thru an animal in the right place the name on the package dont matter much.

I believe I'll use Muzzys after I run out of the others I have for no other reason than they shoot real good for me & I use blinds alot & cant shoot mechanicles thru the mesh.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Spike

I strongly that you give Slick Tricks a try. They are extremely accurate at any distance, are very strong, and leave big holes. If you try them and aren't satisfied they will gladly refund your money. Great customer support. www.slicktrick.net
Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

With all this talk on broadheads I cant believe I havent seen to many replys on the Wasp heads.I use the Boss and absolutely love the way this head performs.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Spike

Well I received my Wac'ems and I think we have found the perfect head! It shaves hair it cuts on impact with a solid chissle type head, replaceable blades, looks awesome and flies perfect. I shot it at 20-30-40 yards and dead center. Thanks Wac'em!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking of getting some when I get back, looks like I will now! [8D]
Old 04-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have much experience and went w/ Sonic 100' last year. Read through this thread, I think I will give Slick-Trick a try. They look very similar to my sonic', but I like the solid Ferrule? at the tip..... the sonic' tip is where the blades come together and as stated above they bend on contact. Sonic's worked for me but the Slick-Trick look like an improved version. What should help me decide what wieght to use?