Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 New Tall Hunter News Bow >

New Tall Hunter News Bow

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Tall Hunter News Bow

Old 02-05-2006, 10:40 PM

Default New Tall Hunter News Bow

I am new to the sport and at 6'7" (6'9" wingspan) I don't seem to have quite the slection of an average sized hunter. The local archery shop measured my draw at 32.5 and at the same time I was able to shoot a Mathews Switchback LD set at 31" draw. Unfortunately this was the only bow I was able to shoot as they did not have any other bows set for a longer draw length. While I would prefer to shoot a bow before I consider it I don't think I will be able to. I liked the Mathews and if I get it set with a 32" draw and a half inch loop I was told this should fit. At the same time I can order a Parker MagHunter combo package for a bit less money from a on-line group. Without having shot the Parker bow I have no idea how they would compare. Withe the Mathews Switchback LD the axle to axle length is only 33' and I hear that it may be difficult to look through the peep sight with the steep string angle on a long draw set up. Being new to the sport any advise that would be able to help me select a bow would be greatly appreciated. I will primary use the bow for backpack high mountain type hunts.

Thanks,

Haakon
Old 02-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Tall Hunter News Bow

Im in the same boat as you at 6'8" and a draw length of 32" My last bow was a XI Velocity extreme it had a draw length that was supposed to be 31 inches but it was actually a bit longer at 31 3/4" that bow was quite comfortable for me to shoot. after using it for 8 years I was begining to have trouble with it limb pockets began shifting causing the riser to bend a bit and nomatter how I adjusted it my fletching would hit the riser and tear off my fletching, Xi went out of business I believe in late 99 early 2000 so getting parts was impossible so I sold the bow to a guy who wanted it for the cams. I then bought a Browning eclipse which was supposed to have a 31 inch draw then buy untwisting the cables 1 turn I should have been able to get it to roughly 31 1/2" draw but its 31 inch setting actually was closer to 29 1/2" so when I untwisted the cables it put me at exactly 31 inches serious bummer Im shooting the bow and have been for 2 years now its ok but just not as comfortable if I had a bow that fit just a tad better. Im looking at renegade archery for my next bow they are endorsed by Ted Nugent. The bow from renegade im lookin at is a Non typical XL has up to a 32 inch draw with ATA of I believe 40 inches which would just about get back to my preference of longer ATA bows my browning is 35" ATA just a little short IMO I prefer 40" ATA or longer but anymore short seems to be all they make I looked at a couple that were 30" ATA I thought to myself I be better off with a sling shot LOL. good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same boat as well (6'10") andm y draw length is 33". I am looking to get a new Hoyt ProTec with the XT 3000 limbs on it. This will put the adjustable length all the way out to 34". Hoyt has quite a few bows that go to 32" and beyond with a limb switch, which is my only option for a new bow. I am shooting a custom made one now that I like, but its 44" axle to axle which is touch in a treestand. The ProTec will be around 39" with those limbs on it. Unless you are set on the Mathews, I would check the Hoyts out as well.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Hoyt Ultratec would fit the bill if you are shooting a release with a string loop. The ProTec, which I shoot fingers style, will accommodate those with extra long draw that would shoot a caliper release or fingers. I shoot a 33 1/2" hunting arrow and have adjustability on the ProTec to a true 34" draw length. The axle to axle on my ProTec is 47 7/8" which also helps eliminate finger pinch a full draw. I also shoot an UltraTec with a string release. Adequate draw length and a lilttle more speed for 3-D shooting.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

reflexcaribou its 45 axle to axle
Old 02-06-2006, 03:34 PM

put a 3" string loop on and our set!!!! LOL
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 PM

check out www.martinarchery.com They got several bows that can reach as much as 35" dralength.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:59 PM

Thanks Guys. I tested a few bows and the Switchback LD just felt good to me so I placed an order for it. Thanks again for the feedback.

Haakon
Old 02-14-2006, 07:55 PM

I'malso in the same boat,I'm 6-9 with a 32 in. draw so your not alone.I shoot Jenning and Bear bows for hunting and Merlin Super Nova for field and 3-D.They all are around 42in.ATA.I also shoot with a release and a loop.