HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   New Tall Hunter News Bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/131867-new-tall-hunter-news-bow.html)

Haakon 02-05-2006 10:40 PM

New Tall Hunter News Bow

I am new to the sport and at 6'7" (6'9" wingspan) I don't seem to have quite the slection of an average sized hunter. The local archery shop measured my draw at 32.5 and at the same time I was able to shoot a Mathews Switchback LD set at 31" draw. Unfortunately this was the only bow I was able to shoot as they did not have any other bows set for a longer draw length. While I would prefer to shoot a bow before I consider it I don't think I will be able to. I liked the Mathews and if I get it set with a 32" draw and a half inch loop I was told this should fit. At the same time I can order a Parker MagHunter combo package for a bit less money from a on-line group. Without having shot the Parker bow I have no idea how they would compare. Withe the Mathews Switchback LD the axle to axle length is only 33' and I hear that it may be difficult to look through the peep sight with the steep string angle on a long draw set up. Being new to the sport any advise that would be able to help me select a bow would be greatly appreciated. I will primary use the bow for backpack high mountain type hunts.

Thanks,

Haakon

HighDesertWolf 02-06-2006 01:19 AM

RE: New Tall Hunter News Bow

Im in the same boat as you at 6'8" and a draw length of 32" My last bow was a XI Velocity extreme it had a draw length that was supposed to be 31 inches but it was actually a bit longer at 31 3/4" that bow was quite comfortable for me to shoot. after using it for 8 years I was begining to have trouble with it limb pockets began shifting causing the riser to bend a bit and nomatter how I adjusted it my fletching would hit the riser and tear off my fletching, Xi went out of business I believe in late 99 early 2000 so getting parts was impossible so I sold the bow to a guy who wanted it for the cams. I then bought a Browning eclipse which was supposed to have a 31 inch draw then buy untwisting the cables 1 turn I should have been able to get it to roughly 31 1/2" draw but its 31 inch setting actually was closer to 29 1/2" so when I untwisted the cables it put me at exactly 31 inches serious bummer Im shooting the bow and have been for 2 years now its ok but just not as comfortable if I had a bow that fit just a tad better. Im looking at renegade archery for my next bow they are endorsed by Ted Nugent. The bow from renegade im lookin at is a Non typical XL has up to a 32 inch draw with ATA of I believe 40 inches which would just about get back to my preference of longer ATA bows my browning is 35" ATA just a little short IMO I prefer 40" ATA or longer but anymore short seems to be all they make I looked at a couple that were 30" ATA I thought to myself I be better off with a sling shot LOL. good luck

YooperMike 02-06-2006 06:58 AM

I'm in the same boat as well (6'10") andm y draw length is 33". I am looking to get a new Hoyt ProTec with the XT 3000 limbs on it. This will put the adjustable length all the way out to 34". Hoyt has quite a few bows that go to 32" and beyond with a limb switch, which is my only option for a new bow. I am shooting a custom made one now that I like, but its 44" axle to axle which is touch in a treestand. The ProTec will be around 39" with those limbs on it. Unless you are set on the Mathews, I would check the Hoyts out as well.

Sniper151 02-06-2006 07:15 AM

The Hoyt Ultratec would fit the bill if you are shooting a release with a string loop. The ProTec, which I shoot fingers style, will accommodate those with extra long draw that would shoot a caliper release or fingers. I shoot a 33 1/2" hunting arrow and have adjustability on the ProTec to a true 34" draw length. The axle to axle on my ProTec is 47 7/8" which also helps eliminate finger pinch a full draw. I also shoot an UltraTec with a string release. Adequate draw length and a lilttle more speed for 3-D shooting.

Allseasonhunter7 02-06-2006 01:45 PM

reflexcaribou its 45 axle to axle

djkiller 02-06-2006 03:34 PM

put a 3" string loop on and our set!!!! LOL

BF1947 02-06-2006 06:21 PM

check out www.martinarchery.com They got several bows that can reach as much as 35" dralength.

Haakon 02-10-2006 11:59 PM

Thanks Guys. I tested a few bows and the Switchback LD just felt good to me so I placed an order for it. Thanks again for the feedback.

Haakon

40 ford 02-14-2006 07:55 PM

I'malso in the same boat,I'm 6-9 with a 32 in. draw so your not alone.I shoot Jenning and Bear bows for hunting and Merlin Super Nova for field and 3-D.They all are around 42in.ATA.I also shoot with a release and a loop.