Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Trail Cam Security

Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail Cam Security

Has anyone found a good way to secure a Trail Cam in the woods to prevent theft? I have a new Moutlrie 3.1, Nobody is really on the properties I hunt much but in the winter tracks to and from the camera make it an easy target I would hate to see it gone the next time I go out.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trail Cam Security

I modify mine (not Moultrie) cams with high strength u-bolts and then fasten it to a tree with a masterlock Python lock. If they want the cam bad enough they can just cut the tree down. I have heard about this happening. I know I pick larger trees to secure them to than last year. I had a 35mm stolen last year and they cut my 1/8" cable lock I had on it so I moved up to a beefier one and just to see placed the cam al season in the same location and it made it through and no cut marks on it, so either they didn't think they could cut this cable or they did not like the one they took last year. I have gotten brave and placed a digital on public ground and got some great pics of some nice bucks and quite a few hunters also. Even one that looked and turned that cam but decided he could not get it off the tree and left it. Hope this helps ~Jeff
Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Let me know how you used to u bolts. I put out my cam yesterday at the house. No locks.

I think that guy gave you the bird that tried to take your cam on the state ground if I remember correct, must mean the lock works.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

What i do for my cam is get a cable and use some master locks to secure it to the tree. You can also use to cables. the more locks/cables the better. I like to find were there are two trees to gether of a big tree were to large to cut down.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Buck after hearing about what the wife got ya I started looking up info locking the comercial units down. I came across this page and thought it was pretty good idea for the money. Canuck This will prolly help.

http://www.chasingame.com/moultrieSpySecurityChain.htm

Old 12-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I would probably use a bit beefer lock though
Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I did was open the case, take the camera out and drill 2 quarter ince holes through the case and run two 3" lag bolts with big washers on them through the hole, take a cordless drill to the woods with me and attach the case to the tree with the lag bolts and drill,put the camera back in, close the cover and lock the cover with some case hardened locks.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:50 AM

I had problems With Bears in Canada crunching the plastic casing on my cams . My guide said the Bears liked the smell of the film inside. I cured the prob. By having Boxes made of 1/4 alum. plate with hinged front.A fue holes cut in door for lens, motion eye, flash and so on. A tab on box with a 1/4 hole that protrudes tru door for padlock.A holeon each side of back of box for a cable. Install box on tree ,install cam , A little foam padding to hold cam in place. Shut door place padlock on and your set. This has worked great unless some one or a bear is carring bolt cutters. I use these in Mich. where I deer hunt and have not lost a cam yet. PS Camo the box with tape or paint
Old 12-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mdbohuntr

What I did was open the case, take the camera out and drill 2 quarter ince holes through the case and run two 3" lag bolts with big washers on them through the hole, take a cordless drill to the woods with me and attach the case to the tree with the lag bolts and drill,put the camera back in, close the cover and lock the cover with some case hardened locks.
This is basically how the Cuddeback security works. However, the padlock is inaccesible on the cuddeback but not on the Moultrie. I can ussre you though, no matter what you do if a damn thief wants your camera there's nothing you can do to keep him from it. I have a shipping container on my jobsite that has been broken into twice and I have a 1/4" thick steel box covering the lock adn the biggest lock that Master makes and they still got into it over the Christmas holidays.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:04 PM

can't you just put it up high like a stand? No one could get it then, point it facing down towards a trail.