Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

i got ripped off!!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM

Default i got ripped off!!

brought my bow into a local hunting and fishing shop. i always stop in once or twice a week just to bs and buy a few things.

well i bring my bow in to have it tuned, a new sight put on, 6 gold tip arrows cut to 29", and the weight to be moved from #52 to #55 pounds. brought it in on saturday pick it up today after school. cost $100. get home and on the first shot the point insert pulls out when i try to pull the arrow out of the bag target. f&*k i say. next shot went the same place as the first 6 inches right. "i am only 10 ft away" so i take one more shot which hits the same spot so i try to move my sight to the right however it is all the way to the right.walk back to 15 yards and now the arrows are hititng 10-13" right.

i put the bow back in the case to be brought back and i wrote a letter telling him what was wrong and that if he dosen't know what he is doing to tell me so i am not waisting my time and money. then i get so mad i decide to look at the bow again and see if i can fix it.

and as i looked at the limbs i noticed that the top one had a much wider gap where you have to turn the screw to make the draw weightheavier then the bottom limb. i really think this guy has no clue what he is doing. i am soooo mad right now i am ready to jump outa my skin.
the worse part is i don't think anything was wrong with the bow when i brought it in. and the only thing that he did that was right was wax the strings
Old 08-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i got ripped off!!

Not trying to be negative here but why would you pay someone to tune your bow and adjust draw weight. All you need is an allen wrench kit to adjust limbs and install a sight, likely 1 screw only. What you now need to do is measure your ATA, brace height and check your tiller. Learn to do this stuff yourself, its more satisfying than relying ( and paying ) someone else. If these specs are out whack you need to retune your bow. I bought a cheap portable press for 50 bucks and never looked back, if I can do it anyone can.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

not everyone has the time
Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's hard to find a good shop! More and more I make the time to try to do things myself. It is hard but sure is satisfying! Good luck!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed but driving to a proshop ( and burning expensive gas ) likely takes longer than installing a sight and adjusting draw weight. Tuning a bow is actually interesting and in the process you get way more familiar with it and can figure out problems most times yourself. If you can't the more experienced people here always seem more than happy to help. Just because someone works in an archery shop does not mean they are experts. Not saying I am at all or ever will be but basic tuning a bow is something most people can do with a little help and few tools.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:46 PM

TerryM,
Speaking of doing it yourself I want to change my poundage from 62# TO 65#. I have the allen wrenches to do it but don't want to mess up my bow. Which way do I turn my screws and is there a particular order to do it in? Quarter/half or full turn?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

Not everyone has the 5 minutes it takes to adjust the weight and swap sights?

Probably two of the most basic skills needed to tune your own bow and they both take less time than driving to a shop.

I agree with Terry, these are two things you could/should learn to do on your own. You'll save a lot of money and if something happens like what you're going through now, you've got no one to blame but yourself.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of doing it yourself I want to change my poundage from 62# TO 65#. I have the allen wrenches to do it but don't want to mess up my bow. Which way do I turn my screws and is there a particular order to do it in? Quarter/half or full turn?
Different bows have different amounts of turn needed per pound. Check your owners manual or if you don't have one call customer service of your bow manufacturer. But you are on the right track of doing both top and bottom in smaller increments and don't forget to check your tiller again after you have changed the poundage.You will be "Turning down" or tightening the screws that hold your limbs in the process, you may find it takes some pressure to move these bolts.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: MASTERDIVER

TerryM,

Thanks
Most bows increase draw weight by 3-4 pounds with one complete turn of both bolts. Tighten the top bolt 1/2 turn, then the bottom and repeat. You should be good then. Make sure you turn both bolts an equal amount. If you have a Bowtech, make sure you loosen the locking bolts on the side of the riser and re-tighten them when you are done.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was speaking for killer i can and have done those by my self
being in school 5 days and working 2days a week i have alot of time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.