Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

i got ripped off!!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: i got ripped off!!

That stinks. I would be just as upset if it happened to me. Though, Terry has a point. Running into situations such as this is a very good excuse to learn to do it yourself. Once you gain the knowledge it gives you a sense of freedom with your equipment.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
BHS

I've ran into the same problems with local shops, and the so called experts that work there. As the old saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself". If it's important, you'll find the time.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've learned how to do my own setup, tuning, etc... and I'm glad I did. I don't have a lot of time either, but when you are out by yourself, something goes wrong, and you are no where near a bow shop, it comes in handy to be able to change sights, rests, get your center shot, paper tune, etc...

Also, you might want to invest $15 for a scale to check your draw weight. When I got my new bow earlier this year, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it tuned. I backed it down a couple of turns of my bolts. For some reason it worked. I increased my tension bolts by 1/2 turn and shot again. It was Ok. Put it on the bow scale and it was maxed out! Lesson: if you buy a bow from one of the catalog stores, check the poundage before you draw an arrow through it.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:46 AM

Right OnI work on that this weekend. Should I use a bow scale even though I'm only going up 3lbs? Will the adjustment hinder my string at all?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 AM

OH here's my set up: I really like it but just want to tweek it! Any input.

Parker Magnum Hunter Outfitter
Draw:26"
Weight: 62lb
Single Cam
WB/QS
Carbon Force Arrows 27"
Muzzy 3bl, 100gr
Old 08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

OH here's my set up: I really like it but just want to tweek it! Any input.
The first things to do in tweeking is making sure you are within specs. Measure your ATA, Brace Height and check your tiller. Then I believe in paper tuning before hitting the range to finalize sighting in ( some people don't pay much attention to paper tuning though ). The paper tear will tell you in which direction to move rests and nocks, also make sure you download and read the Easton tuning guide before you paper tune. If you can get her sighted in and get good groups from field points then a good broadhead should be just about at the same impact also.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 PM

i know i know i should do it myself but i don't have a press or anything. i do put my own sights,rest and thatsort of stuff on my bows i just don't have the time right now to learn to tune a bow and buy a press.

anyhow i brought the bow back and the guy was really sorry he said he had someone new do it for me or something like that. now it is shooting great but i don't think i'll be going in there again, i am still in flames about it
Old 08-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd start by turning your limb bolt's about 1/2 turn each and then check your poundage ,if you aren't where you want to be then repeat the step again .
The biggest reason likely for your bow not shooting the way you want it to is because they go by a basic setup ,not a seup which refer's to you or them ,so when you bring your bow home you still need to fine tune it to yourself ,nobody can set the bow up to you unless your dshooting it while they're working on it .It sound's to me that your arrow fletching might be hitting your rest which in turn is nocking your arrow off center .Try moving your rest in a bit and then shoot it ,if it's closer to where you want it to shoot ,then move it again in the same direction till you get it where you need it to be .I'd start at about 10yrds get it centered and then back off to 15 to see if it's still centered ,if it is then back off to 20yrds and repeat .Even if the bow shoot's great for him ,it won't shoot the same for you.
For this type of work you don't need to have a press .As well if you get your bow centered then adjust your sight over a bit at a time till and then repeat the step's I've mentioned above ,you might not have to once you get the arrow rest set right .
nubo

nubo
Old 08-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

For those of us who would like to learn how to tune our bows proberly, are there any books or videos that you guys would recommend? I can do the minor things like replace sights and set draw weight.But I would like to learn to do the rest on my own including fletching arrows. Any help?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: KONK

For those of us who would like to learn how to tune our bows proberly, are there any books or videos that you guys would recommend? I can do the minor things like replace sights and set draw weight.But I would like to learn to do the rest on my own including fletching arrows. Any help?
This site will teach you more then any book or video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.