Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hoyt Cam & 1/2 System

Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hoyt Cam & 1/2 System

Right now I shoot a Renegade and I intend to stick with it for quite awhile. However, when that day comes when I will purchase a new bow, there's a very good chance it will be a Hoyt. I've heard a lot of hype about the Cam & 1/2 system, but my friend seems to think it's not better than a more traditional 2-cam design which we all know is prone to going out of time and being difficult to tune in comparison to a single-cam. Does the Cam & 1/2 really stay in sync as well as a single-cam setup? Is it as reliable?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hoyt Cam & 1/2 System

Here is another short discussion about the cam styles.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...al%2Ccamí°¶íµˆ
Old 08-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, sorry if this has been worked over a thousand times. I searched and didn't really find what I was looking for. So according to that, it's just hype?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wasn't trying to be a butt I just didn't want to type all of that again.

Posting the link to my response on another thread was easier.

As far as hype goes IMO pretty much. The cam and a half system does not do anything to get rid of the tuning issues that the others have. It is still a dual cam but one cable goes from cam to cam and the other goes from limb to cam and they are of different lengths. It still must be tuned and synchronized just like a dual cam but I find it more tedious than a straight dual cam. I really don't see any benefit to a cam and a half over the others at all.

Here is a little tid bit for you to chew on if you (or any one else) are still growing and your draw length will change. Hypothetically say your draw length is 28 inches and you purchase a bow that has an adjustment range from 25 up to 28 inches and you grow to have a draw length of 29 inches it will cost you about $125 to change your draw length to 29 inches. Hoyts require a new cam size which requires a new string, control cable and buss cable. And no this is not covered under warranty.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set it and forget it. I have a 2003 ProTec and a 2004 UltraTec. I set them up and haven't touched them since.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 PM

I've owned them all and IMO the Cam and 1/2 is the easiest to maintain, but then again, I haven't had to retune my bow in 3 years. It still flies like a dream and paper tunes as well as it did after the first tune. I never had this luck before with other systems. I guess I really can't speak for tuning issues, since I haven't had any. Great system IMO.

A family member of mine at Browning works with the Engineer who developed the system and let's just say Browning paid alot to steal him away from Hoyt. They felt the design wasn't hype.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Wasn't trying to be a butt I just didn't want to type all of that again.

Posting the link to my response on another thread was easier.

As far as hype goes IMO pretty much. The cam and a half system does not do anything to get rid of the tuning issues that the others have. It is still a dual cam but one cable goes from cam to cam and the other goes from limb to cam and they are of different lengths. It still must be tuned and synchronized just like a dual cam but I find it more tedious than a straight dual cam. I really don't see any benefit to a cam and a half over the others at all.
Have you actually owned and tried the Cam & 1/2?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

No I do not own one and for all the reasons I just stated.

However, I am certainly qualified to post what I did. I work on them every single day. I shoot them, tune them, retime them, replace the cams, etc... etc... In other words I do this for a living.

You can listen to me or to them but the fact is that Hoyt cam.5's are not some magical system that does not need to be maintained and tuned. If you want the cam.5 to perform at it's best then they must be tuned just like any other bow. Setting it and forgetting it will not keep the bow performing 100%.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:02 PM

For the record, I never statedyoudon't have totune your bow, nor that the Cam and 1/2 is magical. I'm just stating that in 3 years my bow hasn't need retuning with it. Plain and simple, it still shoots as well as it did when I first got it and I have not had to retune it yet - all I'm stating. I'd be a moron to say I won't down the road and I'm not saying that nor intend to.

bigbulls- I would be curious and have wondered why I haven't need to retune it? Asking your professional opinion why? It's actually very weird to me that I haven't had to, etc.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

The cam and a half will go out when you first get the bow. Hoyt's factory strings have a lot of stretch. When your string is shot in it will be few and far between when you have to re-tune.
The spiral cam and a half has a set of marks on each cam to line up with the limbs, thats it. they stay together pretty well but the string will need a few twists added when getting it shot in.
. I have a Supertec and love the cam and a half but it is not a cure all and will need a little attention from time to time. In the past I have owned Mathews, PSE, High Country, Bear, Pearson/Mcpherson, and A.R. and they ALL need to be tuned.

SF