Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Rocky mountain Snypers ? >

Rocky mountain Snypers ?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rocky mountain Snypers ?

Old 08-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Rocky mountain Snypers ?

I'm thinking of using the 100 grn. snyper head this year because I've read some good reviews in the past. I'm wondering what sort of negative experiences some of you might have had with this broadhead.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Rocky mountain Snypers ?

i personally dont use them but know a lot of guys who swear by them.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only negative complaint I have heard of the Snypers is that the ferrule is a bit weak and can bend considerably when hitting a hard object. Otherwise great head...sharp blades and excellent penetration.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

I was watching Chris Ashley on the primos video using the snyper so I tried them.First deer complete pass through,blood everywhere.Second deer spined,it went 6" through the backbone.I have never seen a broadhead go through a backbone.They usually stop in it,with my set ups anyway.In reference to kick out.I will tell you this.Now I hate to admit it ,but this is a true story.I had a doe come in.She was broadside with the right side of her body towards me.I put it behind her shoulder.I released.She ducked,spinning toward me,and tried to turn around to head back in the direction she came from.The arrow hit her in the left side of the face,cut along the jawbone,then busted through her neck paralizing her instanly.Not what I wanted,but I was amazed.The tip of the broadhead curled.But it did not ricochet off of her jawbone.AMAZING.I will tell you how it is.The snyper entry wounds are larger than the exit holes,because of the way the blades slap out.I have had no rubberband failures or problems.They are sharp.So,there is truth to what Pabowhntr said,but they are still great heads.The new snyper xp3 has 3 blades,and a sharp cut on impact chisel tip.I would try them if I were to go back to mechanicals.Hope I helped.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Ihad the Snypers for a year or so. Never did get the opportuntnity to shoot them. Didn't care much for the rubber o-ring so switched to the Gator. No rubber bands and has a 2" cut. I've shot three deer and neither went over 80 yds. Awesome mech if you can find them.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

No negative experience here either. Large entry wound and an awsome blood trail!!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my a deer with one last season that went all of 20 yards, stopped, then fell over. The entry wound is quite scarey honestly. Complete passthrough.

The XP3's should be even better. They are shorter, use a chisel style tip and have three blades. I can't wait to get a couple packs of these for this season. That is the only knock on the original as PAbowhunter stated. They are prone to bending rather easily. The new heads this year should take care of that problem nicely.