Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Addressing the "small" broadhead comments >

Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Old 08-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

I read a lot of commenting on how small different broadheads are in relation to other broadheads such as the Muzzy or Thunderheads. And that these "small" heads just couldn't possible do much damage on their way through an animal. I would like to put an end to this myth.

A SHORT broadhead does not mean it has a small cutting diameter. You need to consider the total cut made by each blade. We will call this the "slash factor" which simply means that if you had a single bladed head it would be "X" inches wide.

Lets look at some of the popular "large" broadhead designs.

Typical three blade head with a 1-3/16th cutting diameter (muzzy or thunderhead). Each blade sticks out from the center line of the furrel .594 inches. Times three blades and you get a slash factor of 1.782 inches.

Magnus stinger four blade. It has a cut of 1-1/16 X 3/4. Add these two numbers together and you get a slash factor of 1.813 inches. A little bit more than a Muzzy or thunderhead.

Steel force 125 grain four blade. It has a cut of 1-3/16 X 3/4 inches. Add these two numbers together and you get a total slash factor of 1.938 inches.

Now lets look at some of the so called "small broadheads.

NAP nitron (one of the smallest heads out). It has a three blade cut of 1-1/16 inches. Each blade sticks outfrom the center line .532 inches times three blades and you get a total slash factor of 1.595 inches. That's only .218 inches less total cut than a Muzzy.

Montec. It has a three blade cut of 1-1/8th inch. Each blades extends out from the center line .562 inches times three blades and you get a total slash factor of 1.688 inches. That's less than 1 tenth of an inch differance in total cutting ability.

Slick trick has a four blade cutting diameter of 1-1/8th inch. Double this number for the four blades and you get a total slash factor of 2.25 inches. That's .468 inches more total cut than the huge Muzzy.

Now shoot these same heads through an animal and you can calculate how much linear cutting each one will do. To keep it simple lets assume 20 inches of penetration for all 6 heads.

Muzzy/ thunderhead..... 1.782 X 20 = 35.64 inches of cut flesh
Stinger........................ 1.813 X 20 = 36.26 inches of cut flesh
Steel force................... 1.938 X 20 = 38.76 inches of cut flesh
__________________________________________________ ____

Nitron......................... 1.595 X 20 = 31.9 inches of cut flesh
Montec....................... 1.688 X 20 = 33.76 inches of cut flesh
Slick trick................... 2.25 X 20 = 45 inches of cut flesh

These small heads don't do too terribly bad do they?

So hopefully now many of you now realize, when looking for or talking about broadheads, that the overall size of the head does not make the hole. The cutting diamater plus the number of blades makes the hole and cuts the tissue.

Just because a head may be three inches long does not mean that it creates a big hole and just because the broadhead may be small it can still cut a substantial hole often times as large or larger than the "BIG" broadheads..
Old 08-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Wow.... After the second re-reading of that post, it made sense!!!

Another thing about the Slick Tricks I noticed. They do major damage on a Black Hole target! [&:] Believe me... You can't easily pull them back through on a semi pass-through. If you do, you'll be ripping/tearing the material on the Black Hole target - ask me how I know!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 PM

i just hope they don't come apart during that all important shot!
i will stick to MONTECS!
Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice post Big Bulls. I am going to print it and post it down at the shop. Maybe it will spur a little interest in the "small heads".
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 AM

My hats off to you Bigbulls if you get the point across. Get it, point? While you are at it, perhaps you might post pics of the business end, the point. People looking down the head from the point will get a better idea of how much is cut, and realize that a 3 foot long head with the same number of blades and diameter will look the same as a 1" long head, and long heads with less blades or diameter will be seen to cut less.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about this, Gary, in reference to size:

Top: NAP Thunderhead
Middle: Magnus Stinger
Bottom: (2) Slick Tricks

note: don't look at the length, look at the overall cutting surface on the ends of the blades.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont like the assumption of equal penetration. Im sticking w/ my larger head, i want as much energy slapped into the animal as possible. Its the old 9mm vs 45 argument. Punch a small hole? or blow them apart?

Besides, I thought size doesnt matter.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 AM

I didnt mind the small heads for the lack of cutting size but the short angle on the blades. It just makes a deflecting shot more likely. This is only from my experience and a nice buck that got away because of it.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think size of entrance and exit wounds matters more. most set ups today will shoot through a deer with properly placed shot anyway. if you hit tough muscle and bone im taking the bigger broad head. i have no scientific proof on my opinions.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very well said Bigbulls, that makes perfect sense and has the facts to back it up.

The only real differences between "short" broadheads and "long" ones is that the angle at which they cut their "slash factor". The longer B-heads take more time to reach their factor because the incline isn't as steep. This would be a benifit in slow moving arrows because they would glide easier than the short B-heads who have a steeper angle and reach their slash factor faster. Anyways as you pointed out to beautifully the short b-heads don't cut any less than the longer b-heads.

Quick Reply: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.