Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Addressing the "small" broadhead comments >

Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 PM

Default RE: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Hi Butch, good try, but not exactly what I intended. Post a pic taken straight on, like the arrow is coming straight at you. Good visiting with you folks, will drop in sometime in the future and visit again, THANKS GARY
Old 08-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Okay... Hold on.... Digital picture coming up....

Butch A.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go! This is a head-on shot of a 125gr Slick Trick (left) and a 125gr Thunderhead (right). Photo was taken close range with my wife's cheesy digital camera. Hopefully it comes out nice...

Old 08-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

Correct me if I'm wrong but 5 shot says shoot the biggest broadhead you can and the most cutting diameter you can. This guys no slouch, he knows his stuff. All his research proves it.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Correct me if I'm wrong but 5 shot says shoot the biggest broadhead you can and the most cutting diameter you can. This guys no slouch, he knows his stuff. All his research prove it.

And of all the heads listed which one has the largest cutting diameter?

The Slick Tricks.

Look guys Buckeye and Bigbulls says they are one of the best heads out there.... So it must be true!

This will be my third year using them. Two years, 4 issued tags, 4 mature animalsand 4 60 yards or less recoveries.

I used to get the what the hell are slick tricks two years ago and now there are a lot of folks using them. Gary's company keeps growing and growing because he has an awesome head.

Good luck trying to find another head that creates wound channels as large and flys as accurately as the slick tricks.... IMO you won't.[/align]
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just wanted to say that the purpose of this thread was not to promote one head over the other but rather to clear up a misconception avout the so called "small" or "little bitty" or "tiny" broadheads. Do not look at the over all size when judging how big a hole it will make. You MUST look at the cutting diameter and the number of blades to get a true representation of how much slicing a given broadhead will inflict on an animal.

A broadhead could be 30 inches long but if it has only two blades and a cutting diamater of only one inch then it will only cut a one inch, two bladed hole regardless of how "big" it may be.

Anyone can figure out how much cut a specific broadhead has. Simply take the cutting diameter and divide it in half then multiply that number times the number of blades. This number is your total cutting ability of the broadhead.

Take the slick trick for example. It has a total cut of 2.25 inches. If it were a two blade head it would be 2.25 inches wide. So for every inch it cuts foward it makes a cut 2.25 inches wide. Or another way of saying it is that for every inch it moves foward it cuts 2.25 square inches of flesh.

Oh, I almost forgot.
Look guys Buckeye and bigbulls says they are one of the best heads out there... So itmust be true!
Dang right!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Typical Buck

So that makes it 2 out of a million folks, hummmmm, I guess every one else is wrong. I was told on an early thread that someone shouldn't get emotionally attatched to there braodheads, Sounds like to me someone is, excluding myself. of course. Guys it's great that you love them and know all the scientific data about them, but all that data dosen't mean squat if nobody buys them. Sure their made out of steel and the blades are tough and cut a 2.23 or whatever hole or something andcould probably scramble eggs on them if you tried hard enough, but the truth is people are going to use what they want, or what they see, so don't get your self all worked up if it takes everyone else a few more years to get on the bandwagon. Most people can't trust something that's only been around a few years.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good God.... Easy people, easy....

Lou Lou, I was skepticalat first about Slick Tricks, because I have never really heard of them before. But I am serious, they are a fantastic broadhead. I don't really understand the hows and whys of arrow flight, or the aerodynamics and engineering involved with a broadhead zipping through the air at 250 fps or something. But let me tell you straight up... These little buggers can FLY! Call me gullible, call me an idiot, call me whatever.... Heck, I'll try any type of broadhead out of my old PSE bow just to see what it does. Want me to try a 115gr Muzzy 4-blade? I'll give 'em a try....

I took that photo of the Thunderheads, Stingers, and the Slick Tricks to show the size aspect of them. Then Gary of Slick Tricks suggested a head-on photo showing the cutting surfaces of the broadheads. All I did with the photo above was align the broadhead tips even, so even though the Slick Trick is a shorter broadhead than the Thunderhead, thetips are lined up with each other.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:41 AM

Still got questions, take your broadhead of choice and a slick Trick and push them through a taut ( no give) piece of paper, fold back the flaps and compare the holes. Be careful and not fall through the Slick Tricks hole, you may never be seen again Ha Ha GGBH
Old 08-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Again Lou-Lou, this thread purposeis not to promote any broadhead over another. It is simply to open up peoples eyes to the cutting ability of the so called "small" broadheads. They really aren't "small" when looking at the actual cutting ability of these heads.

No reason to get all bunched up about it.

Quick Reply: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.