Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Addressing the "small" broadhead comments >

Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Old 08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

ORIGINAL: bigbulls
No reason to get all bunched up about it.
Exactly.... I got a PM from Gary of Slick Tricks regarding the head-on photo that I (tried) to take. It's okay, but not the best. So, what I am going to do next todrive home the point (pun intended) is get out my old Canon A1 35mm SLR camera with the macro lenses and stuff, and really take a close up view head-on of the broadheads! Heheheee.... I'll show you the business end of a broadhead so close it will look like it's about to poke you in the nose!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Very nice thread, but a tad misleading when comparing a 4 blade head to a 3 blade head, such as a 3 blade Muzzy. Don't forget Muzzy also makes 4 blade heads. Of course a 4 blade head will have more cutting area than a 3 blade head if they are close in cutting diameter. And a 4 blade head has that extra wound channel. One more thing, its a fact that a 4 blade head also has more resistance, although it may be negated in many instances depending upon shot placement and angle in relation to internal organs, bone, etc.

Guess its what I am used too and my preference so I am sticking to a 3 blade this season.....in fact I am trying the Rocky Mtn. Turbos.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually Couger, I think it is about as fair a comparison as you can get. It is simply a matter of looking at the numbers as numbers don't lie.

I chose the three blade muzzy and thunderhead simply because they are by far the two most popular "big" heads in America. I couldn't possibly have listed every single broadhead made today. I would still be typing the original post.

You can figure out how much total cutting ability any broadhead has by simply doing the math.

Such as the four blade Muzzy. It has a total cut of 2 inches.which equals 40 total inches of cut in the 20 inch penetration example in the original post. Many consider a 1 inch cut to be small but when it is done with four blades instead of three it actually cuts quite a large ammount of tissue.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Guys I'm just going with the flow, no bitterness here, just busting chops.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:07 PM

Excellent post, bigbulls. I made a very similar post on one of the archery forums (Idon'tremember which one)last yearwhen the Nitrons came out. All I can say is this. As soon as you start using math to prove something, you lose about 75% of the people.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok. if you had to cut a steak in one blow would you use a 8inch fillet knife or an 8 inch meat cleaver
Old 08-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Actually Couger, I think it is about as fair a comparison as you can get. It is simply a matter of looking at the numbers as numbers don't lie.
While I agree to an extent...tehre's more to it than that though.

According to that theory why not justuse Gobbler Guillotines on deer?

There's still the issue of penetration and "Cut factor".

A broadhead with a 3x1 Length x Width will be a much more efficient machine when slicing than the 1x1 that some of the smaller heads boast.

If your talking fierce KE than fine...pick your head and it'll be fine.

But to say that these smaller profile heads are just as effective and efficient out of ANY bow at ANY poundage and ANY arrow weight is a tad misleading.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

No offense guys, but I've had my share of math classes in high school and college. Don't try to impress me with the total inches of cutting surface. Remember a few years ago a couple of heads were touting how good they are because they used a 6 blade configuration.[&:]

As I said or tried to say, you are comparing a 3 blade head to a 4 blade Slick Trick simply because the Thunderhead and Muzzy 3 blade are so popular. I am sure the Slick Trick is an exellent head and perhaps it is one of the best because of its design and use of materials.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:09 PM

Right onCougar Mag and TruShot Archer.....I concur!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

UH... Actually cougar if you read the original post I was not comparing a Muzzy to a Slick Trick. I compared three popular large heads to three popular small heads with simple math.

I will say it again for those who can't read.[&:]

The purpose of this thread was not to promote one head over another but to point out the fact that just because a head may appear to be small does not mean that it does not cut a large hole and create similarly sized wounds and blood loss when passing through an animal.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SLICK TRICKS!

AS for the six balde head (Crimson tallon)..... through testing they were found to be a poorly designed head that was prone to failure and had blades as sharp as a butter knife. Not so with any of the six heads I listed in this thread.

Trushot Archer,
No where did I say or imply that any person could pick up any broadehad and shoot any animal they wanted to with it out of any set up. Quit reading more into this that what it actually is. A person must use common sense when choosing a broadhead for their specific set up.

I shoot slick tricks but I won't allow my son to thoot them cause he is only pulling 45 pounds and is using a much lighter arrow than I am. He is using a single blade, 100 grain, stinger.

We are also talking about broadheads designed for penetrating the chest cavity of a large animal. Not heads designed for cutting heads off of turkeys. Give me a break.[:'(]

Quick Reply: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.