Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 What setup do you use??? >

What setup do you use???

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What setup do you use???

Old 06-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default What setup do you use???

I use a Bear Kodiak Hunter a guy at work gave me and i bought a Game Tracker reel and a Muzzy arrow with slide.

What does everyone else use for their bowfishing rig?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Equipment I use

My setup is a Bear One compound bow set at 45lbs. On this I have a AMS bowfishing reel. I shoot the Custom solid glass arrow, and this has a Garpoon fish point on it. Never failed me yet. I love the Garpoon fish point because the barbs close inside the head, and open when it hits the fish. And it's great when removing the fish. Because all you have to do is close the barbs, and pull out your arrow.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Equipment I use

I use a bear kodiak with el cheapo tape on spool, muzzy 200 lb flo. orange line, muzzy arrow with custom slide, and muzzy carp head.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:02 PM

black widow sag,s...side mounted slotted retreivor for salt water, side mounted synergy baitcast for fresh...fiberglass arrows , no cable, no slide, [cables for saltwater], and of course, muzzy heads.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Spike

For 99% of my fishing use either a Discovery or Intensity bow with a stabilizer mounted Synergy or Zebco with either 200# fast Flight or 200# Power Pro line. As far as arrows a plain fiberglass shaft tied to the back with a Muzzy tip works well.
If I'm shooting gator gar pretty much everything is the same except I'll use a slotted retriver reel instead of a spincast reel.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Currently I'm using my old compound that I bought in 1987. It's set at 48lbs. It feels like it's made out of cast iron and truck leaf springs. I weighed it last night and it's almost 7lbs. No wonder my arm gets sore.

It has a retriever reel on it and a roller rest. I use plain fiberglass arrows with muzzy carp points and safety slides.

I have a beautiful 45lb Browning Nomad recurve that would be a great bowfishing bow... but it's just to pretty to get covered in carp slime.

My husband uses a 45lb Bear Grizzly recurve with a retriever reel. Same arrows. He shoots off the shelf.