Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Bowfishing setup >

Bowfishing setup

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Bowfishing setup

Old 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowfishing setup

Hi guys i am not new to bowhunting, but i am to bowfishing, I have an old Golden Eagle Sparrowhawk that i started with, the draw length can be adjusted to fit and it is a 40-50# bow. All i need to know about are accesories rest, arrows, line, retriever/spinnning reel, points. Can i use sights?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Bowfishing setup

I'm sure someone is going to ask or is thinking it so i'll be the first one to say it
It depends on the type of budget you are on but when i was starting out i went as cheap as i could get just to make sure that i liked it and wasn't wasting my money. (NOT a waste of money) now i spend to much $$

first thing to get is some sort of safety slide system for your arrows.
don't go without one. ams makes one like.

for example you can prolly get a whole kit made by bohning bowfishing kit for about 30 bucks otherwise you can get just the reel for around 15 arrows for around 10 i'm a fan of the muzzys points.
arrow rest for about the same as an arrow (however you don't have to have a rest but it does make it easier for several years i used a golden key flipper rest and just held it up with my finger works but buy a rest.
I don't use sights never have (maybe i should. I've never got to hang out with any of the pros from illinois so i can't answer for them)

take a look at a few bowfishing websites they will give you an idea of the stuff you need and some prices
ams has a site, muzzy, and try sullys, also you could try basspro.
sorry not trying to push any one product or site just trying to give some ideas of where you can look.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks goose, thats a start!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 PM

EBAY... You can get some good deals on there if you pay attention to the shipping charges. I don't use a sight I instinct shoot. I would suggest not buying the cheapest most basic items. If you do like it you will want the better stuff anyway and if you don't like it then you will have a hard time getting rid of what you bought. Your best bet would get the whole AMS kit from a bowfishing site then all you need is a rest. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would second the AMS kit.

I don't shoot sights either, but I occasionally see people using them. Don't need them for most shots. It's also just more weight and one more thing for your line to tangle on.

I use the brass roller rest. It's not the best, but it's cheap and works. The rest is the one thing I should upgrade on my bow.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wrote a response earlier, but it was 12 times longer.

If you're going to spend a few bucks, I'd say get the AMS kit also, and get a Muzzy fishook rest. The reason I picked that rest is because it's inexpensive, tough and adjustable. One of our members had a problem with his coming loose, but he's kinda wimpy and probably couldn't tighten it enough.

Seriously, the fishook will work great, and if you don't like bowfishing (yea, right), you won't be out that much money, or if you want to upgrade, you'll not have wasted that much. And the safety slides are a great bit of advice. DO NOT tied your line to the back of the arrow. Alot of folks do and don't have any problems, but I haven't heard of anyone having an arrow snap-back while using slides. Better safe than sorry.

Between any 4 or 5 people on here, you can get advice on almost any combination of setups out there. I have three completely different setups myself. Feel free to ask any question you have.