Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowfishing

Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Bowfishing

I'm going to try a little carp shooting this year and would like a little feedback on equipment. I thought if I got a 50 lb. recurve, I could also use it for some of the primitive deer hunt draws.

I've never really looked into rests, reels, arrows, tips, bow brands, or anything else one might need to fish. What do you guys think?

Boldt
Old 02-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bowfishing

A 50# recurve should work fine. There are alot of good ones out there and there are usally some good buys on E-bay if you keep a eye out.
As far as reels I and alot of other us Shakespeare Synergy 4002's and Zebco 808's and 888's. These mount to your bow via a reel seat that screws into your stibilize hole. If you have no stabilizer insert they also make side mounts that screw into your sight area.
Arrows... a plain old fiberglass shaft with either a Muzzy carp or gar tip, Muzzy Stingray, or sure shot penetrator will do the job. Its usually better just to shoot off the shelf of your bow. For line 200# Fast Flight is recommended for the spincast reels.
You can check out www.sullysbowfishing.com for equiptment and a good site to check out for bowfishing in general is www.bowfishusa.com
Old 02-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll give those sites a try.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfishing is a real blast! Just get set-up an go a couple times........you won't stop! Just as Carpn said Sully's Bowfishing and Bowfishing USA are great bowfishing sites. You can learn alot quickly! Just as with deer hunting set-ups go, you can spend alot or very little for a carp set-up. I like the AMS retreiver reel (zero drag) on a compound. The big thing tis to get those heavy arrows to fly true. They need to to get good and deep penetration.

My new set-up:

'03 Parker UL 31 70lb.
AMS Retreiver Reel
350 lb Fast flight line
Rest - Bowfishing Whisker Biskit
Kisser button
Arrows - MMSA custom fishing arrows
Points - Muzzy and Sureshot Penetraters
Sights - HHA Optimizer Lite - adjustable single pin

Yes, I do use sights. Many bowfisherman don't use sights. Up here in Minnesota we can't hunt at night. Are shots are alittle further and often deeper, so I like the accuaracy of sights. Don't even think about a peep though! Just a kisser button! Its really fun, on a average day my partner and I will fill a 55 gallon barrel in about 3 to 4 hours. Alot of big 25 to 35 lb. bruisers!

Good Luck!