Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Reel and Rest

Old 01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reel and Rest

I'm thinkin about gettin a new reel and i do need a new rest. im jus wonderin what you all use? i have the ams standard retriever reel but i was wondering if like the muzzy spincast reel is any good, or do u guys think i should jus stick with my ams reel? for the rest i jus have the wheel thingy(dont know the name) i was thinkin about gettinthe fish hook one. wut do you guys use/like? thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reel and Rest

Wow. This should open up another debate.

I can't help you with the rest. I shoot off the shelf on my recurve. I've heard good things about the dream rest from F&D, the wave rest from AMS and the whisker biscut.

As far as reels, I have heard no feedback on the re-designed muzzy reel so far. If you're happy with the AMS, I'd stick with it.

Many folks use a Shakespeare Synergy or Zebco 808 (they make an 808 bowfisher). I have also used the Zebco red rhino and really like how smooth it feeds line.

One thing I've noticed is that most people tend to like whatever they got used to/ started with. I went from a drum reel to a spincast. And though I've tried the AMS, I keep going back to a spincast.

Good luck with whateveryou choose.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Fishook on one of my compounds and I like it alot. I had a Roller Rest (wheel-thingy) on before that. I like the Fishook better. It's inexpensive and tough. I've heard of a few folks having problems getting it to stay put on their riser, but I've never had a problem with movement on mine. I used a couple washers when I put mine on. But honestly, if it's at all possible, shoot off the shelf. I filled my riserin on my recurve so I could. The Dreamrest Carpsniper mentioned is a nice one.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/bowman55/Filled-inriseronrecurve.jpg?t=1170240190

As far as reels go, I have a spincast on my recurve and I have 2 Retrievers on my compounds. There's good and bad about both I suppose, but to be 100% honest, I like the Retriever better. I forget to hit the release button on my spincast, or I bump the handle and engage the pick-up pins without knowing it, and then shoot. I've lost a few arrows like that. And it messes up the reels alot quicker if you do that. The retrieval speed of the spincast is great, and I do like that I can use smaller diameter line in the spincasts,but I've gone through three in the last year. I still have the first Retriever I ever bought. It's about 9 years old now and still works great. BTW, if you do get a Retriever, replace the line with something a little smaller in diameter. I heard they're using bigger stuff in the new ones and people complain that it's too big. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I've read.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

alright thanks guys. i'll prolly stick with my retriever reel but i'll prolly pick up fish hook rest. thanks again
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another quick cheap rest that a few of us use is a home made deal. Robo 7 put me on to it. Take a standard I bolt. Use a washer and stick it through the hole in you riser handle and put a washer and nut on the back side. They are the wrong size to thread into the hole, so you just stick it through. It is also help ful to glue the slot shut where the I bolt bends around and touches the side. That little slot can catch the line i'm told. I have used the same one now for years. The beauty is the arrow is inside the I bolt and will not fall off, keeps the arrow right in place no matter how much you jerk around.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Of course am sure everyone knows about the epoxy rest.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishstix

not everyone[&:].....
Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

the epoxy rest
Is that the one that Robin and Keith from Aim Low use?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Spike

Yes, it is.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Shootstuff4570

ORIGINAL: fishstix

not everyone[&:].....
Yep, that is the one we use. We show how to make it on our Volume II DVD. Pretty easy to make, cheap, and IMO, works better than anything out there. I am not much on skimping by with home made stuff, but that rest is the exception.

Quick Reply: Reel and Rest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.