Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buffalo Bullet sabot loads >

Buffalo Bullet sabot loads

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buffalo Bullet sabot loads

Old 05-04-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Buffalo Bullet sabot loads

Baldman and I just ordered some 375 gr. Buffalo Bullet sabots from Cabela's. I drove down to our "local" sporting goods store - 45 miles away - last night and couldn't find anything much better than what the local Wal Mart carried, so we mail ordered them. I'm pretty sure I read here that they were good bullets. Anyone ever tried these in a TC Black Diamond? Got any good loads that worked?

thanks...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Buffalo Bullet sabot loads

I had been shooting all day at the 100 yard line when the UPS man showed up with my Buffalo Bullets. The Black Diamond XR was filthy. I swabbed the bore real good and tried them anyway. Since I had Goex 2f there I loaded 100 grains of it and the Buffalo Bullets. They shot excellent groups off the bench rest.

These are my hunting long range shooting loads. In heavy brush I use No Excuse Conicals out of the scoped Black Diamond XR but if I know I will be watching fields then I load the Buffalo Bullet SSB's. They shoot excellent.

Triple Se7en was the person who suggested I try these and he was right on the money as usual with he load suggestions.

Another poster with a Black Diamond XR asked me about these bullets last year because he wondered if they would work on elk. He was shoot 110 grains of Triple Se7en FFg I believe it was. Well he was more then happy to report they work on elk just fine. Almost a full pass through he got with the projectile against the skin on the other side and he said the internal damage caused by them was excellent..

They also load real easy in the Black Diamonds. I think you're really going to like these. I sure do...
Old 05-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Wow - great group Cayugad. And at $16 for a pack of 36, these look like a good bargain as well. Roskoe
Old 05-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I really like these bullets. They do shoot well without a doubt.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

What sabot do you use or do they come with them? What is the diameter of the bullets?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

The bullet is a .451 diameter which is why they load so easy and the sabots does come with the projectile. The actual bullet is a boattail spitzer hollow point. From the ones I have recovered in the sand traps, when they hit they just flatten out like a pancake.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buffalo uses Harvester sabots.
The diameter on most Buffalo S.S.Bs are usually undersized - around .449
Old 05-05-2005, 05:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally never measured them that's why I suspected them much smaller then the .452 because they sure do load easy....
Old 05-05-2005, 07:34 AM

Thanks! Loading easy is important. We (Baldman and I) were trying some 300 gr. (Hornady?) sabots last week and I had to load them by using a rock on a ball starter I had in my box (I found the rock). I only shot one.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I found that the sabot most easy to load in not only my Black Diamond XR but all my rifles for that matter are the T/C Mag Express, Knight, and Harvester. The thing I do is if the sabot is for a .452 diameter I look for a .451 diameter projectile. They just seem to go down easier. The same holds true for the .429-.431 sabots, I look for a .430 bullet.

I can only load a Hornady XTP and Harvester sabot with a lot of range rod pressure. That is why I took to buying the XTPs with the Mag Express Sabot. Now that I found the Buffalo Bullets I shoot them. They come in 225, 252, 302 and 375 grain.

The only one of that group that is giving me fits are the 252 grain Boattail hollowpoints. I think because when they were shipped the box broke open and so did a box of .54 caliber Buffalo Ball-et. All the sabots, and projectiles got smeared with that Ball-et grease which is some sticky stuff. I washed all the projectiles and sabots but I can still feel that lube on them and maybe they are grabbing the sabot harder or something. I will see more with the next box that was not broken. I bought a few boxes of each when a place was having a heck of a sale...