Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Point of order?

Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Point of order?

Why do so many here refer to ML rifles as black powder guns, when the vast majority of them are used with other propellants? A small point, but I am curious. I shoot traditional rifles, but don't care what others use, so I'm not throwing rocks at the inline crowd. Just seems kind of an imprecise description, that's all.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Point of order?

You're right Charley....I'm one of the culprits, thanks for reminding me.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Charley

Why do so many here refer to ML rifles as black powder guns, when the vast majority of them are used with other propellants? A small point, but I am curious. I shoot traditional rifles, but don't care what others use, so I'm not throwing rocks at the inline crowd. Just seems kind of an imprecise description, that's all.
Be careful, Charley! You are treading on dangerous ground. I made a similar observation not too long ago and got jumped on big time for it.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 PM

the main reason I guess , is thats what they shot. befor all this other stuff came around.
for centerys that was the name,old trats are hard to break.[][&:]
Old 03-07-2005, 01:26 PM
bigcountry

Because what we shoot is Blackpowder or blackpowder substitutes rifles, we like to refer to as a ML or Blackpowder rifle.

I mean it would sound so stupid saying a 777 rifle.

Gosh man, that was an easy one. Thought they grew em smarter in S Texas.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Charley

Just because you shoot traditional rifles does not mean you have to shoot only black powder. There are other powders such as Triple Se7en, Pyrodex, AAP, and Black Mag3 that will work for you under many circumstances. So does that mean unless you are shooting a traditional rifle with only traditional black powder, that is the only time you can refer to yourself as a black powder shooter?

Would you not agree that all the muzzleloaders normally mentioned here are capable of using black powder such as Goex, Swiss, Elephant and others as a propellant? Hence making them a black powder rifle.

I guess what I am trying to say is many people use the term black powder guns in this instance as a means of identifying them in a classification different then centerfires, breech loaders (even though some of them use black powder), or who only knows what's out there.

If in a discussion I tell someone I hunt with a black powder rifle instead of using the term, a muzzleloader, my point is still understood in most cases by the person I am talking to.

No one is trying to beat their own drum or take anything away from the traditional shooters and their use of black powder. I shoot tradtional rifles that range from flintlocks to percussion caplocks. I also shoot inlines. I shoot 99% of the time with Goex, but I really do not care if in my post I refer to my choice of weapon as a black powder rifle or a muzzleloader.... When used in general terms they are one in the same to me. If a poster wished additional information, I am sure most people on the board would be more then happy to post the type of propellant they use as well as the amount of charge and the kind of projectile.

I guess what you're wondering is why some posters are not being more accurate in their descriptions... Perhaps an oversite on their part, lazy maybe, or they find the word muzzleloader hard to spell. Maybe they are just proud of the fact that we hunt with a non conventional, non smokless powder weapon, using strange projectiles with some unorthodoxed meaning of ignition...
Old 03-08-2005, 05:59 AM

I guess what I am trying to say is many people use the term black powder guns in this instance as a means of identifying them in a classification different then centerfires, breech loaders (even though some of them use black powder), or who only knows what's out there
I guess what you're wondering is why some posters are not being more accurate in their descriptions... Perhaps an oversite on their part, lazy maybe, or they find the word muzzleloader hard to spell.
You're probably right, Cayugad.

Gosh man, that was an easy one. Thought they grew em smarter in S Texas.
Nah, we ain't real smart here in Texas. Just know enough not to live in one of the People's Republic states ...like MD.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

not to live in one of the People's Republic states
Thats what I am saying. Thats pretty smart. Just surprised you would ask that question.

Hey man, I grew up in a place where you were out of work more than working. Being laid off every week. 20% unemployment. The most important thing to me is having job sercurity. And good thing about these commnist states, is when the private sector is bad, you still have the goverment work. I have lived here for 8 years now, but rarely here. I used to travel 80% of the time.

And there is two things I would miss about MD if I left. One crabcakes. Two, those tender soy bean eating deer and you can take a dozen of em legally.90% kill rate. I grew up on Ky deer that was the toughest thing you ever ate. Have like a 25% kill rate in the mountains. Only take buck. And you could only take like two.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

not to live in one of the People's Republic states
Thats what I am saying. Thats pretty smart. Just surprised you would ask that question.

Hey man, I grew up in a place where you were out of work more than working. Being laid off every week. 20% unemployment. The most important thing to me is having job sercurity. And good thing about these commnist states, is when the private sector is bad, you still have the goverment work. I have lived here for 8 years now, but rarely here. I used to travel 80% of the time.

And there is two things I would miss about MD if I left. One crabcakes. Two, those tender soy bean eating deer and you can take a dozen of em legally.90% kill rate. I grew up on Ky deer that was the toughest thing you ever ate. Have like a 25% kill rate in the mountains. Only take buck. And you could only take like two.
First of all, a dozen deer legally is incorrect. You can take two bucks and ten does during bow, BP and firearms seasons, so you can legally kill 36 deer, not including sika deer on the Shore, or unlimited does in suburban areas.

And, only TWO things? What about steamed crabs or (my favorite) crab imperial? Cream of crab and real Maryland crab soup? You should try mine. It costs me $50.00 to make a pot, but selling it by the cup I could make $450.00. How about mountains to the Atlantic in 4 hours? Not to mention some of the BEST whitetail hunting in the US. Maybe not trophy-caliber like Illinois or Iowa, but there are some mighty big bucks here. I do wish we had pheasants like we did in the Sixties, though.

Brian
Old 03-08-2005, 10:01 AM
bigcountry

Well, what I am saying BD is I can kill more than I need.

BD, when I first came up here working and still lived in KY. I went to have crabs. I was thinking they would be like snow craps I have had at Myrtle beach. They bring out this tray of 12 craps. And have all this crud on them. I looked at my buddy and said, "they didn't have the decency to wipe the mud off". I called the waitress back over and told her I didn't want that crud on them. She took her finger and took a dab and tasted it, and said, try it, I think you will like it. Well, first 3 looked mutilated. But now 8 years later, I am a crab eating machine.

I learned on a trip to Ca lately not to eat crabcakes in anyother state. They ain't the same.