Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need a good affordable muzzeloader. >

Need a good affordable muzzeloader.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need a good affordable muzzeloader.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Need a good affordable muzzeloader.

This year I took my first whitetail with a muzzeloader that I borrowed from a friend. I'm very interested in buying my own, but here in Ohio we only have a 4 day muzzeloading season so it is not worth putting lots of money into one. I am looking for suggestions of muzzeloaders that are both affordable and reliable.
Thanks,
bigdavehillbilly
Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need a good affordable muzzeloader.

bigdavehillbilly,

I shoot a Knight Wolverine and I have had no complaints.The cost is moderate and
it is a safe BP gun. Try to buy a good used one.
You did not mentioned if you wanted In-line or Side-Lock.....
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Probably the least expensive with USA manufacture is one of the break action type of rifles from NEF or H&R. I don't care for the primer carrier they designed into them but if you can live with that they should be just what you are looking for. I would send for the .25ACP conversion for one of them and then would not have to deal with the plastic carrier but I am a reloader and the .25ACP works just great for me.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

To get a basic no frills rifle that will work great and shoot great... I would suggest you look at the NEF Sidekick or the H&R Huntsman. They basicially are the same rifle with a few minor differences.

They are a break open design which makes cleaning easy, 1:28 twist for shooting sabots or conicals, have fiber optic sights, and a great track record, a great safety record, and are American made. The last I saw the sidekick, it was being sold for around $159.00.

There are cheaper rifles out there, some as low as $89.00. These are actually a good shooting rifle but some of them have some other issues that some hunters/shooters are very concerned about, and with good reason. The topic that I am talking about is barrel pressure testing issues.... I own one of those rifles in question. I shoot it. It is a good shooting rifle. Would I buy another one??? I'd have to think on that.

I would also stick with a .50 caliber rifle. They have a great selection of projectiles for them and will do everything you need them to do...

Some other rifles to watch for on sale are T/C Black Diamonds and Knight Wolverines (or other Knight products)..

One other option is to check the used market. You can pick up some pretty good rifles for a good price there.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Dave

You can use a muzzleloader throughout the entire firearms hunting seasons here in Michigan.... minimum of 25 days... maximum around 40 days if you hunt private land & partake in Upper & Lower Michigan's separate/overlapping muzzleloading seasons. Buy the best ML that you can afford. Safety comes first & foremost.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:21 AM

Ditto regarding MLKeith & cayugad. I'm not a fan of the plastic disc holder, either. If you have a Wally World near you, I have seen some awfully good deals on a no frills T/C Black Diamond for under 150.00. Also, it appears that some K-Mart's are getting out of the gun business and I've seen some better deals from them at least where I live in Virginia. One in particular is getting rid of all of their Pyrodex loose powder for five bucks a bottle. I prefer Black Mag3 but I just couldn't turn down that deal and I do have a couple of ml's to use it on.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. It will be of great help when looking for my new muzzeloader.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:13 PM

bigdavehillbilly try one of those new frontier beartooth mags. i bought one for an extra gun in dec it shoots great. cabelas had them. basspro had them. they were selling them from 99.00 to 150.00. great gun for the price
Old 03-07-2005, 05:30 PM

i would really look hard at the tc black diamond or black diamond xr. TC are great guns and the black diamonds arent too expensive
Old 03-07-2005, 06:13 PM

I would have to agree with green01. I have a beartooth magnum
and it is a good buy. Got mine from Cabelas. Mine came with a
scope in the deal for $159.00. It shoots very well and is as
accurate as the old guy holding it can be It says it is capable\
of shooting a 150gr. magnum charge but mine shoots very well
with 2-777 pellets. But a lot of guys don't like them because of
the pressure generated on the Spanish-made barrel. The Beartooth
breaks down like a singleshot and is real easy to clean. Look at
all the ML's you can and then make your decision. Just my take on
your question.

Quick Reply: Need a good affordable muzzeloader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.