Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any Minnesota BP hunters here ? >

Any Minnesota BP hunters here ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Minnesota BP hunters here ?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any Minnesota BP hunters here ?

I don't know if its just me, but as I get older I cannot seem to focus on my Iron sights anymore, I don't want to give up black powder hunting. ( I have been doing it for more than 20 years ) I have tried perscription glasses but that don't help with lineing up my rear site with my front sight and then a deer. I shoot a TC hawken 54 cal, use to be pretty good but sites are gettin to fuzzy. Contacted the Minnesota DNR office and asked them about putting on a 1X scope, and they told me " NO SCOPES DURING MUZZLE SEASON." and if I wanted the law changed to contact my State representitive. It has become very humbling to admit I'm getting to old to participate in the sport I love. and if I want to use the old smoke pole I have to go out of state so as I can use a scope on it. I know I will get a little flack for some guys about this but I really enjoy the muzzle and hate the rifle season due to a few close calls ( bullets wizzing by from neighbors ) I contacted My local representitive with my plight, and gave him some data, on bordering states that do allow the use of at least 1X scopes. hope to hear back from him. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that getting old Sucks.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any Minnesota BP hunters here ?

Just wanted to say Hi, Im from Austin Mn. Next year will be my first with the ML, cant wait. So, where are you from in Mn? Cant tell you much about shooting with a ML, just got my new Omega a couple of weeks ago, and have not had a chance to shoot it. Trying to save up to get all of the accecories I need. I dont really have a place to shoot it either, I live right in town. I am planning on checking on the gun club just outside of town, see what I have to do to become a ember. Well, dont know much else, just wanted to say hi from a fellow Minnesotan.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Bigdaddy 12t, I live in New York Mills, it is about 20 miles east of Detroit Lakes on Hwy 10. You are going to find Muzzle hunting frustrating at times, but when you bring home the meat with the old smoke pole its very rewarding. I have taken deer with high powered rifle, compound bow, recurve, and muzzleloader. I find muzzle hunting probably the most enjoyable.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:41 PM

Hi Steve the problem with vision and open sights are there. I to a'm having difficulty with blurring.You may inquire abought the RED DOT type sight there is zero magnifcation on mine, have not set it up yet. I have hunted black powder for the last nine years started with hunting the muzzel season but with the lack of hunting pressure and less deer after the rifle season I hunt the rifle season now . We have a group of 11 hunters 3 archery hunt 3 black powder 5 with rifles. Next year I will hunt with a scope on my omega .50. I'm not putting a scope on for long range shooting just for the clearity of a fine sight verses the glob of front sight at 75 yards on shoulder of a deer. I have passed up shots at 75 yards because of sight issue being slighty blurred. I have hunted starting in 1967 my longest shot was 110 yards down to 6 yards I bow hunted starting in 1980 stopped in 1994. In 1994 shot my first blackpowder deer. Now I hunt with blackpowder and will use a scope this fall. Check on the RED DOT there has been some chatter in the forums so do a search there are many other forums that deal with blackpowder shooting and hunting .Good luck holmer
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

aint it amazing, I can only remember a handful of deer I have taken with a rifle, but I can remember every one with the muzzleloader, I guess the experieces I have had with the smoke pole just sticks in my head a little better.