Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

range

Old 01-18-2005, 03:05 PM

Default range

i have never shot a muzzle loader before, but am looking to buy one.

and from all the hunting shows i watch, it seems as though there is so much smoke after a shot that you cant see. Im wondering how you can shoot at the range without everyone getting mad at you or whatnot.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: range

Yeah, we tend to blow a little smoke at times.

Some ranges DO limit the days and hours when muzzleloaders are allowed for that very reason, so check your local range for that possibility.

On a open range, try to use the wind in your favor. If it's blowing at you or away from you, it really isn't a problem (just remember not to breath for a couple seconds after firing if the wind is in your face). If in a crosswind - try to get a firing position as far downwind as you can to affect the least number of people. And if the end slot is taken - talk to them & let them know what's coming....................if it's a concern to them, They will probably trade with you. Afterall, MOST folks at the range are good people.

In over 3 years I've yet to have a problem at my ranges..................... just remember a little courtesy can go a long way when dealing with folks.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Private ranges do get upset sometimes. Also when shooting flintlocks be sure and keep people away from the touchhole side of the rifle when you're shooting. Some nasty flame can come out of that little hole. Just shoot one at night sometime.

Like Mark said, watch the wind and use it to you advantage if possible. Normally the problem with public ranges is you sit down to do some serious shooting, touch off the first round and suddenly there is a group of people standing around asking you all sorts of questions.... This is a bad distraction and you have to be careful to pay attention to the loading and firing of that rifle in a safe manner. Believe me.. you look pretty silly when you forget powder, or to remove the ramrod, or a number of other things because you were distracted answering questions....

I normally find that people are pretty good about muzzleloaders. They sure draw a crowd. Especially when they see that big hole appear in the bullseye of the target down range...

The smoke is just a bonus. You learn to really like it.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad it sounds like you may be talking from experience...... ha ha don't you hate when there are so many witnesses! Not that anything like that has ever happened to me.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I stopped shooting muzzleloaders at public ranges because it really did get to be a circus sometimes. I now have my own range and it is wonderful. I can go outside any time I want.....
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

In my experience, public ranges and the folks that use them to be very accommodating.
I would just let the range scheduler know that I was shooting an ML and would like the position as such so that the wind would not carry smoke from my shots into the FOV of other shooters. If the range is a North/South layout, then it's easy. You have the far-east position.

I also have my own and a few private ranges that I use and thus do not go to public ranges that often anymore.