Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need a range rod

Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Need a range rod

I'm looking into buying a range rod for loading at the range so I don't have to remove the ramrod from the gun and remove bullet starters and cleaning jags back and forth. I will take a separate rod for swabbing between shots. Can anyone recommend a rod that you have used and liked? I kind of like the looks of the Traditions Range Rod, it has a swivel handle and is made of anodized aluminum. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need a range rod

I bought a T/C Rugged Rod when they first came out. It has worked perfect. It is very strong and with an additional T-handle you can really get some pressure for pulling out stubborn patches and brushes....

One of my rifles I replaced its broken ram rod with one of those flexable wonder rods. That also is a nice rod, but it is too flexable for my taste. That is why I got the other range rod. I know just what your talking about when you say you hate taking the one out of the rifle and changing all the tips etc.....
Old 02-10-2004, 12:39 PM

MOTurkeyTamer I also use the t/c Rugged Rod and have no problems works great.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

a T-handled rod IS the way to go.........makes things much easier - especially it the rod sticks when running a cleaning patch in between shots as you have a good grip to pull it out by.

Of course, you can just get a plain ramrod that's threaded at both ends and use the T/C fold out t-handles that screw into the rod. Cheap & easy works for me.