Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to muzzleloading >

New to muzzleloading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to muzzleloading

Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Default New to muzzleloading

I recently purchased a Knight Wolverine for my first muzzleloader. I have read alot of books on muzzleloading, and I am confused. My neighbor used to be an avid shooter, but is getting on in years, so when he found out I bought a muzzleloader he came over with a starter kit for me. In this kit was some round lead balls, I have read that they don't shoot well from a gun with aggressive twist. Mine has 1-28 twist, my neighbor told me to use the balls for plinking, and to get myself familiarized with shooting a muzzleloader. Is this sound advise? Another question is, When shooting a round lead ball, do you load powder, then a dry patch, then a lubed patch and ball? Or do you just go with powder, then the lubed patch and ball. I think I am reading too much, and confusing myself.
Thanks KenL
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to muzzleloading

KenL,

Hang on KenL, Cayugad will pick up on this string in a bit. He is really a master at giving this type of information to a newbie. Everyone has some information for you but he will get you off on the right track. Once he gets you started you will never look back....
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

My .50 caliber Knight Wolverine has a 1-28 twist also. Since you did not mention the caliber I will guess it is .50 caliber. And yes, mine shoots roundball excellent. The trick is not to push them too hard. If you do they will skip the rifling. Start your loads out around 60 grains of powder is all. Dump your powder then load a lubed patch and .490 roundball for the .50 caliber. It will shock you at how well it shoots them. It sure did me. If it shoots them... fine. If it does not, well your not out anything. You can plink real good with them.

When your ready to step up to sabots, get some T/C mag express 240 grain XTP's and load 85 grains of Triple Se7en or Goex FFFg and then the sabot. Mine shoots them excellent. For hunting I shoot a 250 grain Barnes Express with 85 grains of powder and the accuracy is exceptional. I think I could push them harder, but with the 22" barrel it is all I felt I need to push them. This spring I am going to see how hard I can actually push them before the accuracy fails.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Thanks cayugad,
My rifle is a 50 cal. I will try your sugestion this weekend. I am really excited to shoot this gun, haven't done it yet.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Kenl you got some great advice from your friend and certainly from cayugad. One of the great things about shooting muzzelloaders is that you can plink at a real low cost with round balls. Your friend is right about shooting often to get familiar with the weapon. I love to shoot round balls with low charge on the range. Lots of smoke and not much kick all for just a few cents per shot. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:13 AM

I agree with sabotloader. I have read many posts from Cayugad since my short time with this forum and he has always been right on the money when he gives advice. I started hunting with an old F.I.E. Kentucky that has a 1 in 66 twist. I was initially told that it was the perfect roundball twist but wouldn't shoot conicals. However, I tried some solid lead conicals called Buffalo Bullets and they shoot just fine. They do kick a lot more cause they are three times heavier. However, sabots do not shoot worth a darn from this particular rifle. But I also now own an in-line in 1 and 28 twist that will shoot everything I can put down the muzzle. It doesn't shoot the roundballs quite as accurate as my Kentucky but I guess it wasn't designed to do so with that rate of twist. I would say it will provide me with what some hunting guru's term as "hunting accuracy" but I'm too finicky when it comes to hunting game. I want my equipment whether bow, muzzleloader, rifle, or pistol to be target accuracy. I hate seeing animals wounded and I do eat everything I hunt.

So the bottom line seems to be to just experiment with your rifle. Cayugad has certainly given you so great loads to start out with.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 PM

Thanks alot for the advise, I am fortunate to have found this site. I have gotten loads of info. so again THANKS I really appreciate it.