Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

found out why...

Old 01-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default found out why...

well yesterday i found out why i missed last sat with the flinter...i hunted a spot where i cant use a rifle for 2 drives....and i noticed the rear sight was kinda canted to the side....i touched it and it moved.....my dang screw came loose....even though i had loctite on them.....should have checked it before i sighted in the rifle the final time...my sights have lines and everything so i could remember where they were after i check.....im going to for now on.....never thought that it would work its way loose......but it did!.....lesson learned.......
Old 01-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: found out why...

Mauser06 don't feel bad... I was shooting one afternoon with my Renegade which has a nice T/C peep. I could not keep a group for my life. One time far left, then far right. Finally I looked and noticed the screw that holds the peep centered was not there.....

it happens... but your right. That is a good thing to check from time to time. Especially before we go hunting....
Old 01-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, that's good news Mauser! Now you have the perfect excuse to tell the wife you need more time outdoors with that rifle to sight her back in.

Now please.... I'm out of excuses with my wife.... got a good one?...lol
Old 01-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

try telling her the truth....i'm going out to site my rifle in no if's and's or butt's....then duck....lol..................bob
Old 01-17-2005, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

well yesterday i found out why i missed last sat with the flinter...i hunted a spot where i cant use a rifle for 2 drives....and i noticed the rear sight was kinda canted to the side....i touched it and it moved.....my dang screw came loose....even though i had loctite on them.....should have checked it before i sighted in the rifle the final time...my sights have lines and everything so i could remember where they were after i check.....im going to for now on.....never thought that it would work its way loose......but it did!.....lesson learned.......
Here's a tip you might be interested in...I had to do it for my TC Hawkens because the rear sight location falls right at the balance point for me when I'm carrying a TC Hawken which has the longer round ball barrel on it.

Although rare and difficult to do, because of the spring tension / detent design of TC's rear sight, it is possible to accidently push the top scissors frame down while carrying it and the elevator screw can move up or down from contact with a glove, etc, while carrying / handling the rifle through the woods...it's happened to me twice by carrying the rifle there, but that's where it balances.

Ever since then, when I sight one in for a particular load, I clean off any oil from the top of the elevator screw and surrounding sight metal with alcohol, and apply two adjacant dabs of white model / hobby paint...one to the edge of the screw and one right beside it on the edge of the surrounding frame.

Then just a quick glance will immediately show any accidental out of alignment of those two dabs of white paint, letting me know the elevator adjusting screw has moved.
Don't know if that would be anything you could incorporate but thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont have a wife....dont have excuses yet.....the girlfriend dont mind me hunting....she knows every sat in the fall im hunting unless she really needs me to be with her....and she sees me every night after im cleaned up...so im good.....she dont mind...seems kinda interested....likes playing with my turkey beards....and likes the stuff i keep in my room.....and likes looking at my pics.....heck maybe one day ill get her to come with me or even walk around the woods with me.....

roundball....thats a neat trick i think ill try that...but that wont help my problem at all.......the actual screw that holds the rear sight down came loose.....i had loctight in it and everything.....maybe when i put it infront of the heater the past 2 times i cleaned it it messed up the loctight?? im going to look into that.....