Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Found her but the foxes found her first >

Found her but the foxes found her first

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Found her but the foxes found her first

Old 10-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Found her but the foxes found her first

Friday night my brother shot two doe. He called me for some help. When I got to where he was hunting, he had found one of the deer and was looking for the other one. After some confusion as to where the deer had run off to, we picked up the trail and followed it for about 300 yards.(It was dark,raining and the trail was hard to follow) The trail lead to an open field and no more sign of blood. We looked in a couple of small clumps of trees in the field and found nothing. We then decided to search the edge of the field for sign. As we approached the area where the deer entered the field We found the deer in the thick brush, still alive. She jumped up and crashed through the thick brush back into the woods. We decided to back out and come back in the morning. We left at about 9:00pm. At first light we were back in the woods. Went to the spot where we last saw the deer. And there she was right where we left her. The only problem was that something had eaten about half of the deer. Sad way to end a good tracking job.I guess atleast there is not a wounded deer running around the woods.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Found her but the foxes found her first

Yeah, nothing you can really do about that other than sit on the sight and wait it out and listen but it's hard for most people to do. It's probably more coyotes than foxes though but could be. I'm not sure how I feel about shooting a second when the first is unrecovered but to each their own, could have ended in different results. ?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad you found the first one. And at least the second one didn't go to waste either. I'm with Rob. I'd find the first one before shooting another one. Too much can go wrong with two bloodtrails and rain in the forecast.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trust me, it wasn't foxes that ate the deer.