Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 knight original disc ML >

knight original disc ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight original disc ML

Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default knight original disc ML

I can get a new original knight disc for a cheap price. I was wondering what are the pros and cons of this gun and how easy they are to disasemble and clean. Also are the disc needed and are they reuseable?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 AM

Default RE: knight original disc ML

i think if you look back through the post you can find all the answers to your questions.But to answer some of your stuff ,it's a fair gun,your have to use the disc and no don't try to reuse a used disc. Spend the extra money and get the newer one that takes the red full plastic jackets.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

The Extreme conversion kit can be had new around $80-90. Maybe less if you check auctions. I had the Magnum DISC, it shot well. I traded it off because the stock and palm swell just didn't feel right to me.

It cleans about as well as any other Knight, you do have to use the c-tool to partially disassemble the bolt for cleaning... not a big deal really. It is easier to clean than some and harder than others but not by much.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Knight DISC, wouldn't buy another. It was a worthless POS, and that's the nicest way I can put it. Accuracy was mediocre at best, with groups ranging between 4" to all-over-the-paper at 100 yards. I tried a dozen different bullets, in different weights, with two different powders (Pyrodex and T7) in both granulations (2F &3F) in charges ranging from 70 grains to 150 grains. I also went as far as to superclean and lap the bore with JB Bore Paste and it still wouldn't shoot.

To make matters worse, if I didn't stop to disassemble and reapply anti-seize to the breechplug every 3 shots, the breechplug would sieze every time. I even tried the expensive copper based anti-sieze agent that is used in high performance racing engines, with no luck. It was also the dirtiest shooting muzzleloader I've ever seen. After 5 shots there would be enough blowback into the receiver and bolt that the bolt would start to feel gummed up. Crud would just be caked on everything. The DISCs do a good job sealing out the elements, but they blow out instantly when the rifle is fired and the primer and blowback fouling goes everywhere. The DISC idea was a novel and interesting idea, but there are much better ways to seal up the breech than a little (and relatively expensive) piece of plastic. It's just one more thin to carry around when hunting, and one more thing to forget when you go out to the range.

I got so frustrated with it that i literally THREW IT AWAY. I permanently disabled the rifle, disassembled it, and threw it in the trash. Something I've never done before and hope to never do again, but I simply could not bring myself to sell it off to another unwitting and unfortunate soul.

I then bought my Savage ML10-II, and it's the best investment in muzzleloading I've ever made. It's all the fun with half the hassle and frustration. It's very accurate, clean shooting (with smokeless powder, of course), has very little blowback into the action, has outstanding performance, and is very economical to shoot (T7 runs $19/lb here, and at 100grains/shot will give you roughly 70 shots/lb, or about $0.27/shot. VhitaVouri N110 costs $18/lb, and at 41 grains/shot will yield 170 shot/lb or $0.11/shot).

I'd highly recommend the Savage to anyone. Granted, you become somewhat of an outcast in the ML community because you use the original "black powder substitute." The crustly old whining geezers who also complained about the terrible nature of sabots, Pyrodex, and in-lines see the ML10 as a genuine sign of the end times, and the gullible ignorant believe the marketing scare tactics propagated by companies like Knight and Hodgdon (who just happens to make BOTH major black powder substitutes, think about it) because they see the Savage as a major threat to their market share and performance superiority. The Savage can do everything a Knight can do better and cheaper, and it the ML community accepted the Savage as the superior product that it is, they'd take a major hit in the old pocketbook. It's funny how the "pioneers" in the field suddenly become the biggest nay-sayers of progress when it's their asses on the line.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and leave with this...I would not own another Knight if one were given to me with my name engraved on the bolt, but I'd gladly buy another Savage in a heartbeat. Oh, and if you really insist on having your sight of your games flight obscured by a cloud of smoke, you CAN shoot any of the non-smokeless "muzzleloader propellants" you'd like and get less performance for more money if that's what trips your trigger.

Mike
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a Knight .45 Disc for 5 yrs. Superb shooter w/ss fluted barrel. Taken at least 6 deer with it and never had a problem. I use antiseize on breech plug before I re-install and never ever had it seize up.

3 years ago I converted it to the Extreme Disc for about $80. The only differance in the whole set up is it's weather proof - that's it - period! If you can get a deal on the orig disc,I would jump on it.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have had a Knight Legend and a Wolverine, both were good guns.

This year, I bought a Knight DISC, and really like it.
I do plan on going to the extreme conversion kit eventually.

If you are still looking, go to www.natchezss.com and do a search for kgdisc704u, it's a stainless steel barrel with camo stock DISC for $259.00, not including the $50 mail-in rebate.

I think they still have a few, that's where I got mine.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I feel so low tech here. I still shoot a Wolverine II LK-93 with #11 cap ignition. The rifle shoots great. It is small and light weight and easy to carry. Clean up is not half as bad as some of the rifles I shoot. I lube the breech plug once, with CVA Slick Nipple and Breech Plug Grease and have shot it 20 times and never had a seize problem. If you suspect the thing is geting seized just reach in with a wrench and turn the plug a little bit. Not take it out, just break the seal that might be forming and get back to shooting.

I hunted in a sloppy snow storm this year with it. I had a finger cot over the end of the muzzle and nothing protecting the breech. At the end of the day I left it loaded and put it in the woodshop with the cap removed. The next day I recapped and it fired like a sweet dry spring day.

I've never shot the Knight Disc. But remember it has a Green Mountian Barrel a timney trigger, and the guarantee of Knight that it will shoot. They also have a great customer service from what I hear, but have never had to use it... If the price was right and I did not own this wolverine, I would get one.....
Old 12-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

i've had a knight for 3 years, and i will never have a different brand. mine has suffered from some degree of abuse/neglect, and the nipple still came off, with some effort. it gets slathered in bore grease every time it gets cleaned. i just got too lazy between a week or 2 of hunting, and the final cleaning of the season. its still a deer killing machine. i plan on selling mine and getting another, and doing a better job of upkeep. maybe in another year or so, i would like to add a revolution to my line-up

has to be the best brand out there
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

i forgot about the original question. the original disc is a great gun, if the deal is a good one, jump on it. you won't regret it. i have many friends that still shoot the original disc, and have never had a problem. if you get it, and decide that you want to change, the conversion kit is simple to install. chances are, you will never decide to change. also, you can call knight, and get a new bolt, that doesn't require that annoying c-tool. (highly recommended)
Old 12-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a older Knight Disc (Pre97) with a short 22" S/S Barrel and Advantage camo stock.I haven't fired it that much,but when I have I've been impressed with it's performance.I've laid a couple nice deer low with it.I converted mine over to the Extreme two years ago.I'm more then satisfied with my Disc.I bought mine used off this sites classified ads. I got a super deal ,along with a great rifle.I highly recommend a Knight Disc.Especially the Extreme Disc.

Ruger Redhawk