Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First Muzzleloader purchase. Need advice. >

First Muzzleloader purchase. Need advice.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Muzzleloader purchase. Need advice.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:38 PM

Default RE: First Muzzleloader purchase. Need advice.

ORIGINAL: HunterDavid

So here I am. ML season starts Saturday. I havent completely ruled out NEF or CVA.
Well the NEF Sidekick is a pretty good rifle. I know a couple guys who have em. Both like em, but neither likes the ramrod. If you get one try the Powerbelts, even the lousy ramrods seem to have no problem loading em.

Another note. Is it this Saturday? That is very little time to get a new rifle and get it ready. A couple months is best at is gives you plenty of time to get things ready.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:30 PM

Default RE: First Muzzleloader purchase. Need advice.

Dave,

I understand where your coming from because I just went through it. The one minor drawback on the Sidekick is it ram rod. It is a little cheesy but it functional. It also has different threads than most of the standard accessories. It uses an 8/32 size thread on the end. To use a standard worm patch puller you have to buy and 8/32 to 10/32 adapter which runs aroun $3.00. There is a company out there that makes replacement ram rod for it that might be worth looking into. I wasn't two concerned with the warranty. Maybe I am a little naive on that point but looked at Remington as an example. They only give a two year warranty on there shotguns. It will not stop me from buying one of them if I like the gun, and as a matter of fact I am looking at buying an 1100 as we speak. I agree though it would be nice if the Sidekick had a longer warranty but for $160 for me it was worth the risk since muzzleloading season here in NY is only 1 week long. Heck I already have spent more on bullets, accessories and powder than I have on the gun and I only owned it for a little more than a week. In the end you have to do what you feel is right for you. Good luck.