Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Purchase advice

Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Purchase advice

I currently have a Moultrie(Slo-trie) Game Spy and I'm unhappy with it's trigger time. Am I missing something or is there some, unknown to me, advantage to a trigger time that takes half a day?

Anyway what I'd like is: a fast trigger time, if I walk past it I want to see me in the picture. I'd like it to capture anything raccoon size or bigger that walks by.

Decent battery life or the ability to use rechargeable batteries. (the Slo-trie would have bankrupted me if I didn't put a rechargeable battery on it).

Decent picture quality. The Slo-trie is ok in this area.

IR night pics would be nice but I'd also like to keep the price under $250.

One camera that I'm considering is the Bushnell Sentry 2.1MP Digital Trail Camera 119200 and another the Leaf River Digital Trail Scan DC-1BU .

Any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Purchase advice

I know someone here has some info to help me, come on guys.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm just starting to look into trail cameras. If I find out anything that hasn't been gone over before I let you know.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Check out this site...

[link]http://www.chasingame.com/[/link]

I have the Wildview Extreme II, and I too am looking for faster trigger time.

Fat-Arrow
Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM

Out of all the cameras I use I like the Cuddeback Expert and Homebrew the best.

I am not happy with my Cuddeback No Flash cams as much as the other two.

The deer can definately see the IR and seem to spook more from it than a flash.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TheHuntinShack

The deer can definately see the IR and seem to spook more from it than a flash.
Have yousat out after dark and observed this? Are you sure it's the IR and not noise that the camera makes?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have a cudde expert, a leaf river IR, and a home brew 35. None are as fast as my home brew but my cudde is close. The only thing on the cudde is the reset time. Its almost a full min before it will take another pic. That's my only gripe with it. Other than that I like it alot.

I've only had my leaf river IR 3BUa few weeks. It has a 2-3sec trigger time which is slowish but I've gotten quite a few pics and none of them have been deerless. I've set it up on trails and spots I know the deer will stop like the edge a food plot where they will be when they first step out and look. I do like the fact that it has a quick shot mode which allows it to trigger 3 consecutive pics back to back as soon as its triggered again and again. So if you have a doe coming down the trail it will get her, and if a buck is say 22secs behind her it will get him where as my cudde would miss him.(Make sense I hope). It's fairly easy to use..I would say the cudde is a little more user friendly but not by much. I will agree with the gentlemen above who said he thinks the deer can see it. I'm not sure if its spooking them or not but they definitly see it. I got 7 bucks last week off the edge of a food plot and 6 of the 7 are looking right at the cam...with that look like what the heck is that glowing red thing.

Anyways if I had to get another cam and was picking btw the cudde orLR (and money was an issue) I woulddefinitly get another LR. They are a good bit cheaper and they seem to work very well. I might opt for the 6.3mp LR they have out now and not worry with the IR. If money was not an object I would get the cudde. With the fast trigger you will defintily get them.

Both have good battery life. I think the LR is going to be a little better.

I paid $325 w/ship off ebay for the Cudde
$285 for the LR IR at my local hunting shop. I've seen them on Ebay for $279 with free ship.

You can get CF cards off ebay for cheap as well. $15 for a 512mb and $20-25 for a1g.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I've owned a few cams also. Leaf River, 05 Cuddy, 06 Cuddy Excite, 06 Wildview 2. IMO the 05 Cuddy is best. This shows on eBay at the price they are selling for. The 06 Cuddy design sucks. They still take GREAT pictures though you will get a blurry image of a fast mover during the day. The battery holder sucks. The brighter flashes greatly reduce battery life on the 06 Cuddys also. The case is NOT waterproof...or even close. The wildview is a great cam for the money and it triggers about a second behind the cuddy due to it's wider detection range on a moving animal. The target has to be moving pretty fast to get by the camera.The Leaf River takes the best quality pictures, but it's a bit slow. Leaf River has OUTSTANDING customer service also.

I now own 2 05 cuddys. It would be nice to have a brighter flash at times and the blurry day pics can be frustrating, but IMO it's the best deal going. If you are on a tight budget you cannot go wrong with the 2006 Wildview 2.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree on the battery holder. I've been pleased with the pics and trigger but they could have done a little better bat holder design and maybe make them a little easier to attach to the tree.How about a metal bracket or something.I like the screw idea but it can be a pain if you want to put it on an oak or hard wood of some time. Thats one think LR has gotten down.Ilike the way you attach it to the tree. If they would just incorporate a way to lock it to the tree and lock the lidwith the samelockwe'd be cooking with gas. They all have their good point and bad. Just have to live with them.

LR does have some good customer service. I called b/c I couldn't figure out how to make it take a pic. I called they put me straight through and the guy walked me through two or three things and then had me do another thing or two that he said would make it work better. I didn't even ask him about the last part. He just told me to tell me. I was very impressed.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 AM

id rather have a few wildviews than one really good one. for the money is pretty quick in my opion (but i dont have anything else to compare it to). im yet to get pictures of the big one but i like to walk by it when im leaving the woods in the dark if its on the way and it takes great pictures of my completely dumbfounded expressions! i know the dang thing is coming and it still seems to surprise the crap out of me every time!

Quick Reply: Purchase advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.