Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NYS Out-Of-State Muzzleloader Purchase >

NYS Out-Of-State Muzzleloader Purchase

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NYS Out-Of-State Muzzleloader Purchase

Old 01-05-2005, 11:07 AM

Default NYS Out-Of-State Muzzleloader Purchase

I live in Upstate NY & wanted to buy a muzzleloader from Cabela's & it says "NY please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering any black-powder firearm". I was wondering if anyone knew what the laws were in NY?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NYS Out-Of-State Muzzleloader Purchase

it saids the same for NJ....so I went to Natchez and ordered a muzzleloader from them, and it was cheaper
Old 01-05-2005, 11:28 AM

Well the problem is that I got $165 worth of gift certificates for XMAS, & plan on going to the Hamburg, PA store at the end on the month. And what is "Natchez"?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:33 AM

I live in Western NY and I believe that restriction is for mail order only on the muzzleloaders. So if your at a store you should be able to buy one and bring it home with out a problem. They just can not ship the gun to you. Maybe someone else can clarify this, but that is my understanding of the law. For a pure muzzleloader there isn't even a background check.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Spike

If you live in NY you can buy a long gun in PA and go home with it the same day. They call in the background check at the store.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My understanding is that there are no restrictions on MLs, ie no checks required. Even BP pistols do not require a pistol permit. I think you should be able to have one shipped with no problem (I could be wrong on that though). I do know that you can have it shipped to a licensed firearms dealer (that goes for any gun). I would talk with a dealer and get the scoop from them, they deal with it everyday.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
jbc

Here are the things you need to do:

1. Walk into Cabelas and pick out a nice muzzleloader.
2. Put it in your cart.
3. Pay for it at the register.

Not much different than buying a pack of cigarettes in a 7-11. You must be 18. No background checks in PA on Muzzleloaders or air rifles.

The only thing you can't do is mail order from Cabelas to certain states.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Ny does have restictions on ML through the mail. In pa you can buy one with no back ground check they don 't even ask your name or address with the following exceptions. If the ML can be converted to a center fire you have to have the back ground check. These Ml include the T/C encore and the NEF huntsman. THe NEF sidekick can't switch barrels so no background check is needed.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:41 AM

From my understanding I agree with Sam's post. Even in NY there is no background check for a muzzleloader as long as it can not be converted to a center fire weapon. However you NY will not allow you to have it shipped via the mail, ups or anyother means. You can certainlly buy a muzzleloader out of state yourself and transport it home with out a problem.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:52 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. Now it just brings me to my next dilema...What muzzleloader to buy. I am partial to Thompson & Knight. Anyone have some reiviews on the Knight Elite or Thompson Black Diamond XR? Or should I just post this question in the "Muzzleloader" section?

Quick Reply: NYS Out-Of-State Muzzleloader Purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.