Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new muzzleloader purchase >

new muzzleloader purchase

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new muzzleloader purchase

Old 08-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Default new muzzleloader purchase

I am in the process of buying a new muzzleloader and am stumped. There are alot of options out there. What seems to be the best all around gun out there?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Default RE: new muzzleloader purchase

depends on where you are from, what you're hunting and what kind of projectile you want to use.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all,we need to know if you are wanting a inline or more traditional type. Some states still have silly laws about inlines not being legal to hunt with. All inlines now are made to use sabot bullet loads or something similar. The 1 thing I would reccomend is you go with stainless steel. This will likely save you the heartache of it rusting on you as (no offence) most new muzzleloader shooters really don't clean them the way they need to unless you have someone to take you under their wing or you are really serious about taking care of it.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

We need to know;

Where you live or will use the rifle
What kind of animals are you going to encounter or hunt
What are the regulations of the State you want to hunt
What kind of price range are you talking
What kind of shooting distances and environments you might encounter
Can you use or do you want to use optics
Does any rifle appeal to you
Have you any experience with muzzleloaders
How many times a year do you think you are going to use the rifle.. ie: target shooting, hunting, etc

Then the forum might be able to suggest a good rifle for you that would fit your needs and be legal at the same time.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM

I will be hunting deer in missouri with an inline and 50 cal. I would like to stay unde 400 bucks and I can use optics. max shooting distance 150 yards will be hunting in the woods too.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Based on that, I would recommend a Thompson Center Triumph with a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm scope. It should handle all your hunting needs and from the reports I have seen so far on them, I think they would be an excellent long range rifle. Also Thompson Center has a life time guarantee and great customer service.

Another rifle would be a Knight Rolling Block with the same scope. Again, easy to clean, simple to use, and a great shooter with a great guarantee from the posts on the rifle I have read so far.

You might have to settle for a blue barrel and composite stock to stay in your price range.

Another way out would be a CVA, Winchester, Tradtions, NEF Sidekick, or one of them brands. Again, their better rifles are a little expensive but can be usually purchased for around $200.00 then add to that a good quality moderate priced scope and you should have a 150 yard rifle with little trouble that is easy to clean, and with proper care will give you many years of dependable service. Also CVA and Traditions have an very good customer service department.

You could check some of the Auction sites. They have some of the older model rifles there for a very good price. Also check some of the forum want adds, again ... the rifles might be used but are still a very good purchase.

Personally if I owned no muzzleloaders and only wanted one or two of them, I would go with the Thompson Center line of rifles. That is a personal opinion of mine. Many other people have excellent luck with other rifle brands.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Triumph, no question... this is one heck of a gun with the best features of any muzzleloader out their.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I've had great results with my Knight Rolling Block.I really like it. I've heard good things about the the T/C Triumph. I believe either rifle woulddo you well. The Knight runs about $75-100 less than the T/C, from what I've seen.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:37 PM

T/C Omega. I wouldn't mind a Triumph either